Did anyone else think SJ was joking when he first showed ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by redgaz26, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

When he showed the iPhone icons on the ipad I thought it was a joke, like a mock up to have a laugh before he came out with the real thing!!
    Just think the home page could have been alot better looking.

2. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

+1. I thought it was pretty spartan. I was expecting the gaps to be filled up.

3. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The icons should be much larger. I think they look stupid.

4. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Just remember how spartan the iPod touch screen was when it was first announced and had only a handful of icons.

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

It could definitely support more icons in the columns and rows.

Even the ability to move icons outside of the standard grid formation would be a bonus.

Could the stacks idea that the photo app had be extended to the main screen so we could group apps?

6. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Maybe we will be able to select how many icons will be shown in each row.

5 or 6 seems like a good number per row. I don't they need to be bigger. Just more per screen.

7. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The interface needs tweaked.

Personally, I'd like to see Widgets in the app store, and the app icons relegated to stacks similar to OS X, which you can arrange into categories. The widgets could take up space on the screen, and the apps would be docked along the bottom, expandable by stacks. It would be far more impressive to look at that way.

8. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Yes it was truly an akward moment, like he didn´t want to show it at all. I got the feeling that he was littlebit embarrased to demonstrate all the same apps that we already have on our iPhones.

And usually the audience gives applauds in every small break, but this time they kept silent for really long periods. It was a bit painful to watch.

9. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

I agree! They do look terrible that small, and when SJ announced it I thought he was going to bring out Ashton Kutcher and say "You just got punked!" It would have been hilarious! But alack, alas, they released the iPad, and that's what we've got, not my first choice of a device, but this is aimed at consumers, but oh well!

King Mook Mook

10. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

They say first impressions count, and talk about bad first impressions. I was all excited watching the various feeds thinking, "This is going to be great, I know it's not going to be just a stretched iPod Touch" and then up came the first picture - "Crap, it IS a stretched iPod Touch and they couldn't even be arsed to change the home screen for the resolution so it doesn't look silly".

11. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Funny and sad but true at the same time. :)

12. Diapason macrumors newbie

Exactly. And there were less than 15 icons (on the iPhone also), with some weird empty space at the bottom/right side of the home screen. That was the image they have been using since then ... and they sold millions and millions of units.

13. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I didn't think he was joking, but I noticed nobody clapped right away. Not even a single person. I guess nobody really expected it to look like a giant iPod Touch.

14. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I definitely thought he was joking. It looks nice, but there needs to be widgets, folders, etc. It's just a jumbled mess of icons like the iPhone and iPod Touch have become. No organization whatsoever.

15. pmz macrumors 68000

What same Apps? Facebook?

From what I saw they were completely new Apps. Your comment is like saying when the iPhone was introduced, all they did was show the same tired old Mac apps.

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

16. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I thought he had accidentally picked up a digital photoframe with a kingsize bezel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.