Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
listen to music on the iphone and then get a phone call and how exactly you answer the phone while wearing headphones? I know Steve showed us nicely when you are listening to your music back thru giant stereo speakers and then get a call but what do you do in the real world. Let say you are wearing some 3rd party headphones, I'll use the Bose Noise Canceling one's for example. So you're jamming out and then the phone rings. I'm sure Apple will politely noitify you and fade down the music so you can take the call. Do you have to remove your headphones to take the call or will you hear the person thru your headphones and just speak like its a speaker phone? Had David Pogue looked into this?

Tyler

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
listen to music on the iphone and then get a phone call and how exactly you answer the phone while wearing headphones? I know Steve showed us nicely when you are listening to your music back thru giant stereo speakers and then get a call but what do you do in the real world. Let say you are wearing some 3rd party headphones, I'll use the Bose Noise Canceling one's for example. So you're jamming out and then the phone rings. I'm sure Apple will politely noitify you and fade down the music so you can take the call. Do you have to remove your headphones to take the call or will you hear the person thru your headphones and just speak like its a speaker phone? Had David Pogue looked into this?

Tyler
The earbuds that come with the iPhone have a little microphone on the wire, near where your mouth is (a bit below, if I recall). When a call comes in, the music fades down (and pauses, I believe) and you hear the ring in your headphones. Then you just push on the microphone that's on the wire to answer. You'll hear the person through your headphones and they'll hear you from the mic on them.

There's also a Bluetooth headpiece you can use, I'd assume that then you'd drop out an earbud when you hear the phone ringing, and push whatever button is on the Bluetooth headpiece to answer, and you'll hear them through that.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
The earbuds that come with the iPhone have a little microphone on the wire, near where your mouth is (a bit below, if I recall). When a call comes in, the music fades down (and pauses, I believe) and you hear the ring in your headphones. Then you just push on the microphone that's on the wire to answer. You'll hear the person through your headphones and they'll hear you from the mic on them.

There's also a Bluetooth headpiece you can use, I'd assume that then you'd drop out an earbud when you hear the phone ringing, and push whatever button is on the Bluetooth headpiece to answer, and you'll hear them through that.

Yeah I saw that during the keynote pictures. But how exactly do you do this without apple's headphones, like one's from Bose, Sony ect...

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
In the same way the slvr worked.

how did the slvr work? I never saw that phone in action. I would think apple would make this very simple since its the action one would do most who makes calls and listens to music on their ipod on the same device.

Ars Diaboli

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
Southern Red State
iphone earbuds are only ones known that will work

At present anyway, the earbuds/microphone solution indicated that it would dim the music and alert the user about the call. User then decides to take the call or not by manipulating the UI(touchscreen). If you take the call, it comes thru on the earphones and you talk as you normally do (mike is close enough to pick up voice). You would not have add your bluetooth earpiece. Once call is finished, press the button and you pick up where you left off.

3rd party earbud/microphone combo has not been announced yet, but you know there are going to be some. For example, what about those people who are runners and like the 'curl around' supports like the Nike's have. They will probably be plenty of these types (based upon the Halo factor of the Ipod) but they will be aftermarket, where as the Apple earbud/micro will probably come with the iPhone.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I use 3rd party ear pieces with the ROKR, but they have mics in them too. I've never tried it with regular headphones. The actual port is smaller, 2.5 like on other cell phones, not 3.5 like headphones and audio connectors use. There is an adapter, but I've never used it. It will pause the music when a call comes in, but you'd probably have to unplug the headphones first before talking, unless the audio out is different than the audio in.

Assuming the iPhone will be the same way. Just get a nice pair that has a mic in them and use an adapter if it doesn't come with one. Don't know though, we'll have to wait and see if it can tell the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.