Did anyone get their A Level or AS results today?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MasterHowl, Aug 18, 2011.

1. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I did! Had a sleepless night last night, I was so nervous...

I got an A* in Physics (WOOO) and an A in Geology and Maths. Perfect match for the offer from my first choice university! I'm going to Manchester University to study Physics with Astrophysics and I can't wait woooo wooo woooo!

How did everyone else do?

2. ethical macrumors 68000

Congrats, and Manchester is a great university, you'll love it there!

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

B and three C's, not enough for my three B's needed to get into Lancaster :(

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Got a back up plan? Clearing? Your grades are still good!

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

For those of us not familiar with the UK Education system,

what are A levels, and AS results? :confused:

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I'm going to my insurance, Leeds Met. But I love Lancaster, I'm pretty gutted about not going. I'm sure Leeds will still be great though :)

AS levels are from age 16-17, A Levels are the subsequent grades at aged 17-18 (in the thirteenth and fourteenth year of school, AKA sixth form college). AS levels are worth half of your A Levels. They are required to get into University at aged 18.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

They are specific to certain regions of the UK. In other places, you will hear students talk about "Higher" and "Advanced Higher" results.

One of the greatest failings of this country is the lack of a unified education system. The exams, grades and names vary from place to place despite all of the money coming from the same pot.

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

My sister went to Leeds Met - enjoyed her time there and did well afterwards. Leeds is a cool city.

9. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

So I assume this is kind of like the ACT and SAT here in the states?

10. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Totally. I graduated from Manchester in 2006 and have been here ever since! Great city!

Congratulations to all those who got the results they wanted!

I hope your achievement won't be trodden on by those who claim things aren't as tough as in the old days! I say ignore them and carry on towards whatever it is that you want to achieve!

11. .md macrumors member

.md

Code:
    Congratulations! Your place at Northumbria University (N77) to study Computer Science (G400) has been confirmed.
    Bah.

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No, not at all. Students choose what subjects to study in high school and the results they gain in these specific subjects determine whether a university will admit them.

Very few universities require students to sit entrance exams and often it is only the most oversubscribed or challenging courses that require it.

13. sumone macrumors regular

Wow! I should have went to school in the UK.

14. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

I believe the closest US equivalent to A-levels is AP.

15. 7254278 macrumors 68020

Or IB(which I took) if you went to an international school. . .

16. MasterHowl, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Thank you! I absolutely loved it at all the open days... I had my heart and soul absolute set on going there. So so so so so happy I got in! I feel very privileged to have been given a place, because it was hard to get in.

Nice one on getting into your insurance though! I live in Leeds and it's a great city, so friendly! You'll have a great time.

17. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You've reminded me, I never did get back to you on the other thread where I promised to recommend you some places! I'll have a think and drop you a PM!

Did you hear back on which halls you got into?

18. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Thanks for the kind words :) Congratulations on getting into your uni of choice, Manchester, which also happens to be where I'm from too! :p I'm sure you'll love Manchester. I'm sure Leeds will be great too, I'm slowly getting a bit more excited about going there so I'm sure I'll be fine :)

19. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Manchester is the best place in the UK IMO. Congrats on getting in. Also, nice grades. I got B,C,C - which is enough for the course I want to do (Mental Health Nursing).

20. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Haha thank you! I'll look forward to it. I got my accomodation through today! I got into Lambert halls which is on the campus right near the train station. It's close to the physics department which is just what i wanted!

Thank you :D congratulations on getting onto your course too! I did my work experience in year 10 shadowing a mental health nurse, it was really interesting!

21. r1ch4rd, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Follow this map to avoid a disappointing first night. There are some terrible pubs near the train station. If you head a little bit south you can find some nicer places to go. This will take you Sand Bar, which is a good craft beer place. From there you should be able to find the Deaf Institute and then follow Oxford road back into the city centre keeping an eye out for The Temple (which is an old public convenience) and the Lass o Gowrie. That should get you going on your first night out. Of course, I'm not going to give you exact directions to all of those places because that would remove the fun!

EDIT: This will also take you past a whole host of other places including the Grand Central and The Salisbury (which are heavy metal bars), the more mainstream Revolution, the slightly trendier Kro Bar, a few cocktail bars and some pretty run of the mill pubs. So, you should be able to keep everyone happy.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Lam...eIbsQ;Fd3lLwMd5OHd_yGwuuhCDMiYYQ&vpsrc=0&z=15

22. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Aah thank you! I'll be sure to try that route out once I've made some friends. I'll get back to you and let you know how it went ^.^

Still can't believe I actually got in... it's a dream come true!