Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
And if so, I have a few questions...
  • What was the build quality like? Did it have the same polycarbonate design that is extremely prone to scratching?
  • How did extraneous features such as the handle and latchless design work out?
I'm just asking because I've never met anyone who's used the original iBook, nor have I even seen one in the real world outside of movies or pictures. I'm just curious about it.

dinaluvsApple

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • What was the build quality like? Did it have the same polycarbonate design that is extremely prone to scratching?
I'm just asking because I've never met anyone who's used the original iBook, nor have I even seen one in the real world outside of movies or pictures. I'm just curious about it.

its well original, i found the quality very sturdy but it was heavy as well, no latch problem(my friend has owned one for like 3 years now)

interpunct

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008
portland, or

i have had mine for almost four years and it still works perfectly. the latch works, yes there is scratching on the case but minimal that would happen with everyday wear.

i think they were a great computer. i'm looking to upgrade now and having trouble deciding, because it has been such a joy.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
i've owned 2, a g3 and a g4

the g3 was decent enough, save for a crack in the screen bezzle, and of course the LCD backlighting was going thanks to age (yay LED!)

of course the top of it was shinny plastic so it was quite scratched

the g4...

well on top of the known logic board issue with most g4 ibooks, this one came with a broken LCD support which i had to replace, fortuantly the guy i bought it from had a spare dead screen he send me that i salvaged it from

the front right corner of both units (the g3, and g4) had spider cracks

they both get decent battery life, with brand new batteries about 3 hrs, not bad for a machine designed how many years ago?

they are slow though, the g4 1.2 though capible of running leopard is much more suited for tiger

and you dont even want to hear about changing the harddrive:eek:...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.