Did anyone here keep their 1st gen iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uncleSmurf, Jul 26, 2008.

1. uncleSmurf macrumors regular

uncleSmurf

Just curious because I just came accross a 2g iphone in excellent condition and while I was going to sell it on ebay and get a 3g iphone I decided not to and activated it today instead. I just went through a list of what I would use it for and knowing me I found that I probably would'nt use 3g or GPS much if at all.

I hope im not alone.

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Yeah I still see alot of original iPhones. I sold mine to put money toward the 3G. My original was beat up and only had 4GB, so I basically had to upgrade to the iPhone 3G 16GB.

The original is still nice though.

3. random person macrumors 6502a

I haven't upgraded mine -- I don't need 3G as I can use WiFi pretty much anywhere I go these days. Absent the need for 3G there's not enough to differentiate between the first gen and the 3G version -- not enough for me, anyway. I want to buy the new one, I really do -- but it seems silly as my original works flawlessly.

4. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I still have my 1st gen; it's sitting in the box on a shelf. I haven't decided what to do with it yet.

5. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Pretty much the same here, I think I might use it when my 3G iPhone has a flat battery.

6. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Still have mine. Posting this reply on it, actually.

I went in to the local AT&T store, and checked out the 3G, but due to lack of coverage, mine on edge was a heck of a lot faster than the 3G on, uh, 3G.

Plus I'm on a GoPhone plan, so signing a two year contract for GPS and a plastic back didn't seem worth it to me. Maybe if AT&T expands their coverage.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I kept mine. I just got it in January, and it wasn't enough of an update for me to buy a new one. I am liking the 2.0 software and the app store.

8. chkMINUS macrumors newbie

Put them on ebay people! So I can finally buy one.

As an aside I've been wading through ebay the past week in hopes of getting a first generation 16GB iPhone buy it now in my price range of $200-275. They get listed frequently, however, they are gone 10 min. after they are listed so I never get to them in time. $200 + MS cashback brings the price in the 150-160 range. A steal in my book.

9. RNSheets macrumors member

RNSheets

I still have mine, but I am still waiting on my 3G :p

A fellow worker would like to buy it, but he doesn't have iTunes. :rolleyes:

Gotta have that first, bro. LOL

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am trying to buy the 3G and will keep my original for a backup if the 3G breaks

11. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I kept my phone, I'm currently using it as a media device, mp3 mostly for when I'm at the gym... I picked up one of those incase slider casings that covers the back and chrome bezel plus I had the static cling on the glass, seems to be working out perfectly..

12. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i had tried for a long time to resist getting the 3G, but i caved in today. i can't say it was really even worth it, but the gps seems to be pretty good, 3G speeds are nice, meh... i got the 8GB, and it was only $200 so i figured, f**k it. i have a month to return it, though, and if i don't think the 3G phone is worth it before then, its going back to Apple and i'm going back to the 1st gen.

seriously, there isn't a whole lot of reason to upgrade unless you can afford it and like getting the latest and greatest.

13. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Odd...same thing with me. And my name is also Mike B.... (except I caved and got the 16 GB black)

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm keeping mine until they at least get a 32GB model for $299. In essence, I would be paying $299 now for an extra 8GB, 3G and GPS. Oh yeah, and my bill would go up. I don't want to get locked into all that until I can get at least what I had with my old iPod (30GB). I really liked having a lot of video on it, and I've been making my videos much larger recently.

With all these tales of people selling their first-gen iPhones for more than $400, it makes me tempted. But I'm holding out.

16. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I upgraded....gave my EGDE to my brother.....I'm like it, feels nicer in my hands, and 3G will be nice at school(I don't have it at home, but Wi-Fi works here)

18. importluva macrumors member

If turn-by-turn navi works good on the new one, ill cave, else im stickin with gen 1.

19. uncleSmurf thread starter macrumors regular

uncleSmurf

hmm maybe we should start a first gen club heh