Did anyone hit the 5th Ave NYC store today?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nygiants242, Mar 12, 2011.

1. nygiants242 macrumors member

Were there iPad 2s in stock?

Any lines?

Are they sold out now?

Any info that could help would be great. Thanks

2. gatearray macrumors 65816

No iPads at 5th today, except for maybe a Verizon 64gb or two...

3. steveruv macrumors newbie

i was there at 4pm and by the time I checked out, 415 as per the time on my receipt, there were only 4 32gb wifi's left then i bought one. went to get setup and after hearing some applause, apple store staff were saying ipads would be coming in tomorrow.

i lucked out. was really looking for a 16gb wifi but no complaints here.

4. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Huh? I went there and bought 23 of them around 9am...

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Don't they have a limit per customer?

6. tsekh macrumors member

he went there with a football team.

7. md63 macrumors 6502

I was there around 4pm. I also heard the applause but didn't know what it was for. Most Apple employees were telling people that there were no iPads but then I saw someone buying one. I asked the associate and he told me they had some Verizons and Wifi in black. I picked up a 32gb black. The guy helping me said they had sold about 8,000 iPads yesterday.

There were so many Asians (assuming Chinese) milling about in the store and in the plaza outside. It seemed like half of Chinatown was in the store It was obvious they were buying to ship oversees since I saw one guy buy literally hundreds of iPad 2 covers. There were 3 employees counting all the covers and the guy had a huge wad of $100 bills to pay for his purchase At one point about 50 asian women jumped onto the line to checkout and when an employee shouted there were no iPads, they all got out of line. The check out line went from 50 people to no one in a matter of a couple of seconds It was the craziest scene I've ever seen at a store. Since 5th ave is open 24 hours I would assume many of those people are still there waiting for the next shipment. They only want the ATT models and don't seem interested in the WiFi.

8. steveruv macrumors newbie

md63, we were probably one of the last ones to pick up the black 32gb. the apple care lady who was helping me was getting freaked out by everyone looking over her and my shoulders when she was helping me. she was cool about it though. some of the display macbooks were only there to use them to activate the iPad with itunes.