Did anyone notice fan running constantly and temp going up steadily?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by krishmk, Jun 19, 2016.

1. krishmk macrumors 6502

Upgraded to Sierra last night on 2011 Mac air and has been running hot, with some processes constant in the top of the cpu consumption list. Indexing is completed last night and I am not sure what else is going on..

Fan constantly at 6500+ rpm and temps reaching 95C often..

These processes show up on the top % cpu's used list..
    Pkd
    WindowServer
    Hidd
    Kernel_task

2. cmaier macrumors G3

In my case deleting the finder .prefs and restarting finder stopped the overheating/fans, but it looks like you've got different top processes.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Remember that it's a beta. Software and drivers may not be fully optimised yet, which may cause excessive CPU usage.

4. nick19 macrumors member

nick19

Late 2012 rMBP here, and whilst mine did run hot after the initial install, it's settled down now and fans average around 2000rpm, temp 55%.

5. krishmk thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, and that is only thing that is stopping me from going back to el cap. I will wait a few weeks/beta releases to see if this pipes down.

6. cas85 macrumors regular

Notes.app is he only culprit that causes 200% CPU spikes for me. Could just be a glitch with my iCloud though.

Edit: didn't really mean to quote your post.

7. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i've noticed this in previous (early) betas, and seems to get sorted out in later iterations...

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Common in almost every beta I've tried. These are the things that get ironed out before the fall release. I'd be much more concerned with compatibility issues with apps that I use because those things can take a while before they get fixed, if at all.