Did anyone settle for the "wrong" iPhone size or color?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doctor Q, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Did any of you buy an iPhone with the "wrong" size (8GB vs. 16GB) or color (black vs. white) simply because they ran out of the one you preferred?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

There's a thread somewhere here about getting an 8Gb rather than a 16 - but with the rate of new threads/ flux, it's kinda hard to find. Personally i made the choice to hold out for a 16GB. Have seen a few people go for the 8GB instead of 16GB.

3. patcase86 macrumors newbie

I was undecided between white and black 16gb. But, the guy at the ATT store said they ran out of black ones, so I got a white! I LOVE it, looks great (way better in person). Only wish the store had one on display.

BTW - My ATT store only got 40 in and there were a good 50-60 people in line...

4. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

5. cantankerously macrumors regular

When in wanting the 16gb black, left with a 16gb white.

It's dead sexy.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I guess people wanted to just get one over being overly picky, and not getting one due to lack of stock. I read a post where they were selling 8GB like hot cakes, but had loads of 16GB - oh, the luxury of that situation!

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

They ran out of black 16gbs so I bought a black 8gb. Life goes on. There was no way I was buying white though.

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

One of the Apple managers had both models at the front door this morning. When one of the people in line asked which he liked better, he said he hadn't decided (which is why he hadn't gotten one for himself yet).

I was leaning towards white but wanted to see them in person first. Seeing them on photos from other launches or on Apple's website is not the same.

Ended up with the white and I love it.

9. shadyInCA macrumors member

All 16GB phones were sold out at 9:30am at the AT&T store I was at (I was in line from 7:30am). I decided to leave rather than settle for an 8GB model

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Same thing for me - when they said the 16GB were gone, I left, and now I am thinking about going to one of the Apple stores, but they are all an hour away. Some of them are out of 16GB Black phones also. All have 90-120 minute lines as of 5pm EST...

11. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

12. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

Were you in Mountain View by any chance?

13. shadyInCA macrumors member

Belmont.
    Everything is good now. I spent the last 4 hours at Burlingame Apple store and I now have exactly what I was after

14. JPark macrumors 6502a

Looking at the Availability, it says my store is out of the 16GB black. Could anyone tell me if that takes into account any they are expecting to see in the morning?

15. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

i "settled" with a white. more important to me was the 16GB (which i got). i actually quite like the white. it's sort of nostalgic (original ipod days)

16. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I'm still waiting to upgrade to a white one here in the UK:(

17. suprnovaynwa macrumors member

suprnovaynwa

I waited in line in hope of buying a 16GB black version.

Turns out they only had 8GB versions, I was just about to purchase it, when I decided at the last minute to wait it out and just pre-order one instead.

Good decision in hindsight, me thinks.

18. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I seem to have followed the trend...went in wanting a 16gb black, 'settled' for a white, but after seeing it in person I would have changed my mind anyway because it looks so good. I would not have settled for an 8gb though.

19. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I got what I asked for: 16gb Black.

But upon reflection, I think I'd like the white.

The white has fewer visible smudges, looks great, and is different than the billion black phones out there.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy, and what was far more important to me was getting the 16gig size.

20. stekerrod macrumors regular

well i was happy with the black 8GB one i got, but if the o2 store i had still had 16GB ones left by the time i got to the front of the queue i'd have taken one of them! but like i say very happy with the black 8GB as with the old one i never struggled with not having enough storage!

21. alFR macrumors 68020

I didn't bother queing up after hearing about all the 16gb shortages in the UK, so no I didn't settle for one I didn't want. Can't understand why anyone would to be honest, just for the sake of getting one a couple of weeks (at most) earlier.

22. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Getting a 16GB Black, just as I wanted. The white just seemed weird with the white back and black front.

23. breathe macrumors newbie

I could have had an 8GB phone (these only come in black) with zero wait at my neighborhood Fido outlet in Montreal on July 11, but I am holding out for a 16GB black. Ordered one from Fido by phone on the Friday - still waiting, and as of yesterday it hadn't been shipped :(

I work in a somewhat conservative environment, and don't want my phone to stand out too much! Hence the black (lame reason, I know...)

Attempting to check email at a café on my iPod touch over a non-working one-bar WiFi connection was exceedingly painful yesterday!! The damn phone better come soon!

B

24. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I very very nearly settled for a white 16GB about 25 mins ago but decided I'd stick out for the black which is what I really want. Indeed, even more so now I've seen them in real life.

25. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

same here....I walked up to the store at night with no lines and the girl told me they only had the 8GB left...I'm waiting on the 16GB