Did anyone successfully sell their MBP on Craigslist?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seong, Jul 23, 2011.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I was just wondering if anyone has been successful on selling their MBP, or any other Apple products, on Craigslist. I'm trying it right now.

2. apecrazy macrumors newbie

i sold my ipad 1 on craigslist.
    i also had an offer to trade it for an iphone 4, but ended up selling it outright and using the money to buy a 32gb instead of the 16gb the other guy offered.
    the 32gb was bought on craigslist too.
    its iffy and there are a lot of flakes out there, and its not for the faint of heart.
    be prepared for people to low ball. i dont even respond to that anymore. and if i am buying an electronic device, i require a receipt or packaging or something that proves ownership just to protect myself.

3. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Thanks for the quick reply. May I ask you if you did the deal in USA or other countries? I currently live in Japan, and so far, got 5 responses (with one person replying back to my reply to their reply.) I'm trying to sell my MBP with all the stuff that came with the box+some other Apple stuff. Did the buyer pay it directly with cash money?

4. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

Sold my 2007 MBP core 2 duo in one day. I put it up high at I think $750 looking to get $550, and his offer was $650. Sold.

I just met him at BestBuy around 1 PM so he could check it out and he was all over it. Probably the easiest Craigslist sale I've done and I was hesitant.

I did not have the box or anything, just did a clean SL install for him and he was all over it.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I've sold iPhones before... met at Starbucks. It was pretty easy and simple. Sold a MacBook Air before too, met at a gas station though, kinda awkward there.

It's hit and miss. Some you'll get a response, some you'll just have flakers and some are scammers. Use your best judgement.

6. ABadSanta macrumors regular

Please be very, very careful when doing any type of transaction on Craigslist. I can't even begin to describe how many scammers there are.

Never accept a check. Meet at a public location like in front of a police station, or at a busy shopping center. It helps to bring a friend or two, and don't hesitate to ask for a driver's license to get some information.

7. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I listed my 13" i5 for $1100. I just waited it out for the week. I got a lot of lowball offers but within the week (5 days) it sold for the asking price.

I'm in Canada

8. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

You're setting yourself for an epic fail if you're willing to sell and not meet in person.

9. funnyatleast macrumors member

only do LOCAL those Nigerian Princes will get you!

Sold a 2 MBP (late 2010, low end) last month, one for 900, the other for 950

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

dont use craigslist its aweful

to many scammers from africa try to dupe you

use kijiji.

safer and reliable

i sold my macbook pro 13 off there

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816

that would be pathetic if u did that.

always deal locally. safer and u get paid in cash

12. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Yes, I am very well aware of selling it locally. I've sold couple of other stuff before, but I'm currently unsuccessful in selling my Macbook Pro here in Japan. One problem is, if I post an ad, it shows up, but then when I get a reply from someone, craigslist automatically makes me to reset the password. After that, my ad is never up again. Tried this three times with two different accounts. Never worked.