Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bli625

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
I was wondering if anyone switched to the iPhone from Verizon before their contract ended? I've been researching Verizon's contract termination terms but I haven't been able to get any solid information. I've seen some articles saying that there is no early termination fee.

Lou142

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Switching to ATT

I am switching over from verizon and I am paying an early termination fee. The amount you pay depends on how far along you are in satisfying your contract. I am paying $105, where as if I canceled at the beginning of my contract I would have had to pay $175 (this being the starting number from which Verizon subtracts $5 for each month you satisfy on your contract).

The best suggestion I could give would be to call verizon and ask them how much you'd have to pay to terminate your contract - this is what I did. Obviously they are going to ask you the reason for the switch, and if you have researched other options within the Verizon domain.

jtalbert

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
Depending on the contract you have, you will have an early termination fee if your still contractually obligated to Verizon. We switched from Version to ATT. I did two years ago when my contract had ended and my wife 4 months ago when her contract was up. I think ETFs are pro-rated and if your close to the end of your contract your ETF will be less than the full fee. Your best bet is to call Verizon and see how much longer your under contract. If it is about a year, I would suggest maybe sticking with Verizon for the time being. During the WWDC keynote. Apple took a few jabs at AT&T. I think the honeymoon is over and there have been reports that Verizon is going to get a version of the iPhone. Its totally pathetic that AT&T has not enabled MMS on the iPhone. Its not like they dont have an MMS network in place, and they currently do not have MMS enabled phones.

I am growing increasingly unhappy with AT&T and if next year Verizon does come out with an iPhone I would consider switching back. Each company wants to stick it to you for as munch money as they can, no company is at all different in my opinion. The big reason I switched from Verizon was the inability of me to freely transfer pictures from my phone that I took with my phone camera, and how they have every locked. That would be the big thing that would keep me from going back to Verizon. I dont think Apple would allow Verizon to have a iPhone if they forced you to pay per pic transfer like they have for many current phones.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why not call and ask them. We can give you explanations till we're blue in the face but until you hear it directly from verizon, it doesn't matter.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I switched from Verizon to AT&T. I haven't seen any ETF yet because nothing will happen until I activate my new iPhone next Friday.

I did find this on Verizon's website (this is from 2006):

New Declining Early Termination Fee Is Another Consumer-Friendly First From Verizon Wireless
Starting today (November 16, 2006), the company introduces its declining early termination fee (ETF) for new contract customers. Now, when a customer signs up for or renews Verizon Wireless service, he or she will not be required to pay a fixed early termination fee if he or she chooses to terminate service before the end of the minimum term. Verizon Wireless’ contract termination fee will start at $175, as it does now, and be reduced $5 per month for each full month toward the contract’s term that the customer completes.

Verizon Wireless is the first wireless company to introduce a declining early termination fee nationwide -- other carriers require a fixed payment of $175 or more for the life of their contracts. The declining fee applies to contracts signed or renewed beginning today, November 16.

Too bad I've had Verizon since 2003. I guess I'll be paying $175 even though I'll be 16 months into my two-year contract.

casmith07

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2009
USA
I'm switching next Friday. I owe Verizon nothing to port my number, but my fiancee and I owe $145 to port her number since she came on the contract late from Sprint.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but VZW is $175 if you don't cancel within 30 days, and it decreases by $5 a month for each month thereafter until it's $0 or 24 months is up, whichever's first (usually 2 years).

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I switched last year when the 3G came out. I paid an ETF that was equal to $175 minus $5 for every month I was into my then-current two-year contract. If Verizon has modified your account lately (even if they are only charging you and extra $.01 per month), you can force them to waive the ETF (but it will be a major hassle).

itsmefudge

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Middle of the Pacific
Depending on how long you have on the contract with VZ, and if you are going to port your number or get a new one, I just told them to change my plan to the very cheapest one, $30/mo then got a new number with AT&T, paying the 90 bucks was better than 175...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.