Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I updated Reeder yesterday and one of the updates said:

"Task completion: Sync in background (iOS4)"

I thought this would mean that it would update how many unread articles you have, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Can anyone explain what this update means?

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don't have Reeder yet, but from what I can tell it means that it completes the sync you start before closing the app. Suppose you begin a sync, then you close the app before it finishes, it'll finish in the background.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
Yes, it competes a sync after the app is closed.

The update fixed a few things, but more needs addressing:

• Auto-sync on launch (it only works the first time you launch)
  • High res graphics for iPhone 4
  • Possibility of background checking for some minutes after closing.

This update fixed what was broken but broke the auto sync. Hope another update is in the works.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Got it guys, that all makes sense. Yeah, I'm waiting for the updated retina display too. I wonder why this app can't check for new articles every 15 minutes. Does Apple not allow it?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Got it guys, that all makes sense. Yeah, I'm waiting for the updated retina display too. I wonder why this app can't check for new articles every 15 minutes. Does Apple not allow it?
Correct, Apple does not allow it.

The only apps that they allow to run in the background are music streaming, GPS, and VoIP. Well, and their apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.