Did anyone's screen get better over time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bise 22, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Bise 22 macrumors newbie

I got a new iPad yesterday and the top and left side are warmer than the rest. It's not horrible, but it's annoying. There are so many conflicting opinions, I just want to know if anyone's actually did get better or if there's a solution besides returning it, because I'm afraid I'll get one that's even worse.

For the record, I don't mind the yellow tint, I just want the whole thing to be the same color.

2. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

No, it will not get any better with time, sorry.

I've got the same issue since more than a month now: it tend to get even worse... You'll find many similar cases on these forums. It seems most iPad 3rd gen suffer from this issue. Some people are happy with it and don't mind or see it. But I haven't seen anyone posting a clean iPad 3rd generation. So risks you get another defective unit are probably high... :(

Just hope Apple do something about this problem. But iMac screens failures case doesn't make me optimistic...

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

4. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

Mine had a dark corner, after using at 100% brightness for 10 days it didn't get better and the screen started to get pink.

5. sekazi macrumors 6502

It is only your mind looking for imperfection. Ignore it.

6. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

lol

7. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I would say "many," not "most", considering Apple sold 3 million in the first three days alone, and we only have a sample side of a few hundred, majority from those with defects. We just don't know how many of the rest who aren't posting online actually have iPads with problems, or how many have the proverbial "perfect" iPad.

8. Laserawesome macrumors member

I honestly believe that my iPad is perfect, and it is the one that I first ordered from apple preorder. There is no backlight bleed, the screen is nice and bright. I did think it was a little too warm when I first bought it but it has cooled to the perfect color since then.
    I think that it is possible that some people are looking for and finding issues that aren't really there. I also think that some iPads are defective. However if it takes you 10 iPads to find a good one, then it's possible that you are finding faults that don't really exist.
    The troubling thing about all of this is just how much differentiation there is between models. I love mine and think its perfect, but I have compared it to many other iPads in stores and belonging to friends and I have seen cooler ones, warmer ones, pinker ones, greener ones, darker ones and brighter ones. There seems to be no "absolute perfect" model.

9. plucky duck macrumors 6502

When I actively look for it I see slight green hues on the far right side of the display, very slight and only at certain angles. After awhile of actually using the device I can honestly say I don't notice it anymore cause I spent more time actually enjoying and using the hell out of the device. Doesn't mean that the display is not imperfect, but at the end of the day it's really a non issue for me personally.

Did it get better, no, but I got better accustomed to it.

10. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

I agree with you. With my experience of 3rd gen iPad, this is the way to go if you want a keeper... Try to forget about it and try to get accustomed to it!

But there is no doubt about the fact this screen is very far from a glorious display... Great resolution, so-so color reproduction (but most people doesn't care), and with a pathetic homogeneity. But I'm looking forward to see a decent one to revise my judgment!

So if you can't live with these flaws, you really should return it (since it's not going to get any better) and wait for a few month to see if Apple is doing something. And I think Apple don't like to give money back :)

That's probably what I'm going to do, even if I hate doing it.

11. ElCidRo macrumors regular

I didn't run any test - any I didn't stare at every part of the screen to look for stuck/dead pixels. But until now, mine has been perfect.

I can feel the weight difference - that's my only complaint. I would really like a lighter device. Like 1/2 the current weight. Hopefully we'll get there some day.

12. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I preordered the new one on launch day and I have no issues. I noticed that the screen was a little yellower than my iPad 1, but since then my new iPad has become nice and white. No crazy hues, no bleeding, no nothing :D

13. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Mine might be a little yellow, not sure.

My iPad 1 was jailbroken and I had the hue changed to almost orange because blue light is murder on your eyes.

14. Bise 22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im going to keep it and hope I get used to it. Really disappointing though, I'm a huge fan of Apple as I'm sure most of us here are, and I would not expect something like this from them.

15. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Over time you might come to accept it for what ever short comings you feel it might have.

For the most part display panels will not heal themselves.

Light bleeds will not go away.

Missing, stuck and other wise defective pixels over time tend to get worse.

Tints, casts and color temperature variances, readily show up mostly in side by side comparisons.

Stay away from the "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" and just enjoy.

16. Bise 22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually decided to take it back. I'm just going use my iPad 1 again and wait and hope they fix it at some point. So disappointing, the screen is stunning otherwise.

17. pat park macrumors 6502a

my new iPad has improved and is now a 3d display. Don't know how it happened. But it's pretty cool. Apple never ceases to amaze!

:D

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It isn't broken. Some are defective, and even if you wait 50 years, some will always be defective. The percentages of those that are defective is unknowable, but my iPad I just received is perfectly fine. There are no dead pixels, and the white is truly white as far as I can tell (and I have even used an white screen to test it out of curiosity. I haven't seen any light bleeding either, but I haven't sealed myself in a completely dark room to check yet either. ;)