Did Apple accept your DEBIT card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

Everyone kept saying you need to use a credit card, but I used my debit, and it was charged. I ordered through AT&T as well, and they sent me an e-mail saying I couldn't use that card. I'm gonna let them cancel that order, since I don't need 2 phones, but does Apple accept debit and credit? I'm worried my order will get rejected soon, since people keep saying credit only.

2. bjmach macrumors 6502

Yep they preauthorized my debit card for the total amount (2 phones)

3. Arh25 macrumors member

I used a Regions Visa Debit card through AT&T and everything went through fine.

4. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, good to know, thanks.

5. L3MON macrumors member

yeppp, my boyfriend stood in line at AT&T for over an hour and when he was all set and ready they refused his Bank of America debit/credit card and he was turned away....I then pre-ordered my iPhone 4 using the exact same card and Apple accepted it and the money has already been taken out....very strange policies throughout the whole day from both companies.

6. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, so it's AT&T that won't take the debit cards. That must be why they turned away the same card I used with Apple.

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

They took mines with no question. Money was withdrawn and got my confirmation email as well.

Bank of America VISA Debit.

8. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

When I ordered the 3G and the 3GS (Stood in line for both at AT&T) they took my Debit card from Bank of America without issues. Granted my card was a Visa Debit Card but it was branded as Bank of America.

9. bacsi macrumors newbie

bacsi

I used two different debit cards, both Visa, to order from Apple online. Both were charged and confirmations received. :D

10. bricknothitback macrumors newbie

bricknothitback

The ATT store took my debit card and processed the order. Got my confirmation two hours later.

11. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I think there is a difference between VISA debit(or mastercard) and just a plain debit card.

Mine went through no problem but Citizen's online banking is a pita so I don't know if ATT charged or not, it just shows total amounts for a day and I need to wait a day or so for it to reconcile.

12. christyn macrumors 6502a

visa debit card and yes, it was pre-authorized

13. tmackgt89 macrumors member

Apple Store took my Visa Debit

Order finally went through around 730PM last night. They pre-authorized the full amount

Bank of America - Visa Debit

14. awestruck macrumors regular

I used a Visa Debit which can be charged both ways. So I think I'm alright.

...I hope.

15. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Did you pre order? Or just stand in line the day they were released?

16. IrishTiger macrumors regular

Yup - they accepted by BOA Visa Debit Card. My total purchase was like $319 after taxes, but they debited my account for more, about $323. I could care less, just get the darned thing shipped! haha!

17. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

18. awestruck macrumors regular

The money hasn't been charged to my account yet. Should I be worried?

19. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

did you use credit card or debit

20. awestruck macrumors regular

Debit but it's a visa debit. It can be charged as credit.

21. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I posted this in another thread, but I thought that it might be something that you guys would want to read as well.

I was told the exact same thing by two different AT&T stores. Their system will initially take the debit card (with a Visa or MasterCard logo), but later when the order is processed, their system will reject it. This was ONLY if ordered in store with a debit card. The charge would "pre-authorize" and all, it just will never ship. One of the managers even agreed with me that it was dumb, but that they were notified several times to alert in-store customers to this, as it will cause some irate customers once orders start getting rejected. He (the manager at the second store that spoke with me in detail) even said that he knows that a debit card can be used on their own website to pre-order just fine, but again he and all other area managers were notified several times NOT to allow customers in store to use a debit card (VISA or MasterCard checking card) to order in store, even if it's run as "credit", as they were told it WOULD be rejected just before reaching "Shipped" status. I don't know how much of this is BS, but it seems that it might actually be true with the number of corporate stores that seem to be telling customers this info.

22. Bono2Beagle macrumors newbie

Well

I used my HSBC/Debit Mastercard with no problems. I got a security call from my bank, but I still received an confirmation email within 5 hours of me placing my order.

There was no AT&T rep telling us in the store that we couldn't use Debit. They were saying that they were just authorizing the amount, but that we wouldn't be charged until the phone actually ships.

I would imagine as long as you keep that authorized amount in your account you should be ok.