Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I am wondering why there has not been a blow out of 32Gb and 64Gb iPad 2's since the New iPad was released. When iPad 2 came out, retailers cut the price of the first iPad in half and various stores and even AT&T was having blow out sales. I recall the 64GB selling for 499$ So what happen to all the iPad 2's the retailers had in stock?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Apple is still offering the iPad 2 as the $399 model (for now). There is no reason for them to buy back any stock.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I would think that Apple may pull any stock from retailers to use as replacements for when current iPad 2 units may fail or get damaged.

Just a thought. I do not know for sure.

BTW, this was my 1000th post in 3 years. :D

xyphr3

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
I would think that Apple may pull any stock from retailers to use as replacements for when current iPad 2 units may fail or get damaged.

Just a thought. I do not know for sure.

BTW, this was my 1000th post in 3 years. :D
Congrats. I would say that your deductions make the most sense about using them for replacement units.

Oman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Apple is still offering the iPad 2 as the $399 model (for now). There is no reason for them to buy back any stock.

They are only offering the 16GB model for sale. However the question was what happen to all the 32Gb abd 64Gb that were in the hands of retailers.

I agree that the stock left over could be used for replacements which of course means Apple would have recalled all the stock. Anyone work retail have an idea?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
They are only offering the 16GB model for sale. However the question was what happen to all the 32Gb abd 64Gb that were in the hands of retailers.

I agree that the stock left over could be used for replacements which of course means Apple would have recalled all the stock. Anyone work retail have an idea?

Best Buy is still selling their old stock.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Seems same thing going on as last year - prices were cut by $100 across the board back on the 7th. BestBuy and Target and Microcenter all have stock, albeit it's spotty as they're not restocking 32's and 64's.

I believe AT&T's deeper cuts last year came a week or so after release, so perhaps you'll see further cuts in a few days. Right now they're $100 off of new 32's and 64's, $200 off refurbs.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

Oh, yeah---I guess I didn't think about the non-16 GB models. I imagine that they don't want those sitting on shelves anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.