Did apple care lie to me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mnsportsgeek, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Hi,

I just bought a refurbished Macbook Pro and I am interested in upgrading the HDD in it to a 7200 RPM HDD. The apple care representative said that I needed to have the operation done by an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) in order to keep my warranty in tact. I was under the impression that they made the HDD easier to access in the unibodies so that the user could do this himself.

Was the apple care representative correct or incorrect?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yep, he lied. As long as you don't break anything doing it yourself, your warranty is fine.

3. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Sort of, your Apple Care warranty just won't cover the HDD you install, the manufacturer of your HDD will be the one to cover that anyway. Although I imagine Apple Care is easier to deal with then the HDD manufacturer but that's really the only down side, go ahead and upgrade it yourself.

4. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

so as long as I don't strip a screw or what not. The warranty will remain perfectly in tact?

will apple try and pin me down and blame any potential future problems on me replacing the HDD?

Edit: ok, I just called apple care again and got a lady that new what she was talking about. She says as long as it is the correct dimensions and is compatible with the computer (of course it will be) the warranty will be perfectly fine.

Just to double check. I'm figuring between one of these two hard drives. Are both of these compatible?

500gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374

320gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148446

5. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

I just got the 500gb momentus you have there for my new MBP yesterday & its awesome! Runs super fast/quiet and cool

i give it a thumbs up

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020