Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
In all the promo pictures I've ever seen of the iPhone, on the screen that comes up when you're having a phone conversation with someone, your wallpaper was behind the phone buttons (mute, speaker, etc) and if you had a photo of that person in your contacts, it appears in a small square box at the top by their name.

But I just got my 4S on iOS 5 and now the picture of the person is the background picture during a call, which looks absolutely retarded and cheap because 1. The pictures I used don't look good blown up to that size and 2. You can't see the picture with all the phone buttons infront of it. Is this new or has this been around a while? It looks extremely tacky and its very un-Apple like.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
When you receive a call from someone I think you get the little thumbnail photo beside their name. When you make a call to someone it fills the screen.

I could be wrong ... perhaps once you answer the incoming call it switches to the full-screen photo.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
It seems to make their face full screen for an incoming call before you even answer too. It just looks creepy because the persons face fills your screen in a weird way. I took the times a couple years ago to make most of my contact photos roughly square shaped so they'd fit nicely into the box alloted by the contacts app. But the iPhone screen is rectangular shaped so now the picture fills up the screen and gets cut off on the sides, creating a really zoomed in awkward looking picture when someone calls you. Again I don't get it, so un-Apple.

throne

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
It shows the thumbnail for me when I call someone and they call me. What do you use to sync contacts? Google? iCloud?

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
It shows the thumbnail for me when I call someone and they call me. What do you use to sync contacts? Google? iCloud?

Before iOS 5 I used Google. When I set up iCloud it asked me if I wanted to do contacts with them so I said yes. To my knowledge I might have it on Google AND iCloud. You think shutting Google off would fix it?

----------

Actually I take that back, I checked iTunes and iCloud replaced google. So Im syncing my contacts solely with iCloud.

throne

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
Before iOS 5 I used Google. When I set up iCloud it asked me if I wanted to do contacts with them so I said yes. To my knowledge I might have it on Google AND iCloud. You think shutting Google off would fix it?

Maybe. It's worth a try.

Since you synced with Google though, it's probably using really low resolution thumbnails since when you upload contact pictures, it automatically makes them tiny. So when you brought over your Google Contacts, it was still using those same low resolution photos.

If after turning off Google, you still have the problem, I would try replacing your contact photos in iCloud with the original high resolution ones and see if that works.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I could be wrong, but I think it works like this. If you've set a picture for someone in Contacts from the Camera Roll, when you receive or make a call, it shows up full screen. If the picture is set from somewhere else (for instance, pulling their profile picture from Facebook), it shows up as the little thumbnail at the top of the screen. I could be completely wrong, but I THINK that's how it works.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I could be wrong, but I think it works like this. If you've set a picture for someone in Contacts from the Camera Roll, when you receive or make a call, it shows up full screen. If the picture is set from somewhere else (for instance, pulling their profile picture from Facebook), it shows up as the little thumbnail at the top of the screen. I could be completely wrong, but I THINK that's how it works.

Bingo. That's it. I messed around with the Twitter feature yesterday, and there was an option to replace someone's photo in my contacts with their Twitter picture. It only changed like 2 of the people in my contacts, but I just tried calling one of them and, alas, their picture stays as a small thumbnail.

Well now this is really stupid. So I suppose my next question is, is there anyway for me to choose my own photo for people without having it blow up full screen? This is an odd design decision on Apple's part.

cvam1985

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2011
Bingo. That's it. I messed around with the Twitter feature yesterday, and there was an option to replace someone's photo in my contacts with their Twitter picture. It only changed like 2 of the people in my contacts, but I just tried calling one of them and, alas, their picture stays as a small thumbnail.

Well now this is really stupid. So I suppose my next question is, is there anyway for me to choose my own photo for people without having it blow up full screen? This is an odd design decision on Apple's part.

Try emailing the photo to yourself and setting it to the contact via other means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.