iPad mini Did Apple delay the iPad mini upgrade to sell more iPad Air's?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rkuo, Oct 17, 2014.

1. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Ok, this has been mentioned in other threads, but I don't think it's been reasoned thru in this way. Think about it.

If you release the iPad mini and iPad Air with the same specs at the same time, you get some set of people who would have bought the Air to bump down to the mini ... Which is equally capable, but costs less for the consumer, and has far less profit for Apple.

On the other hand, if the new hotness is just the iPad Air for 6 months, you'll pull a lot of people who are ambivalent about the sizes over to the Air. Only the true die hard Mini users and lower information buyers (which is still a lot of folks) will pick up the mini by then. This means the Mini does what apple wants it to do, which is pick up an entirely different set of customers without cannibalizing the iPad air's market share.

I suppose this could also apply to just keeping the mini a full generation behind, but I think and hope that Apple realizes that would make the mini look pretty bad compared to other tablets on the market.

Hell, if you just look at the threads on this board, you can see it happening. Lots of mini users are going to switch to the Air this gen. More money in the bank.

2. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Probably has more to do with all the people they had working on the Watch. So they put their effort into the Air because that is where they make more profits (versus the Mini).