Did Apple disable/forbid include app-purchases (magazines) in the backups?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lars666, Nov 20, 2011.

1. lars666, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

lars666 macrumors 6502a

Hello everybody,

I own an iPad and have a lot of magazine subscriptions (Wired, New Yorker, Vanity Fair etc.). I keep them saved on my iPad after reading, so that one of my last backups was over 30 GB big. When I restored my iPad with this backup, I didn't have to re-download the magazines again. However, my iPad backup somehow mysteriously shrinked to only 2,7 GB. (Can't figure out when and why.) I normally backup to my hard disk, but - after discovering that - did also a backup to the iCloud which allows me to see the individual taken space of each app. It shows me that my in-app purchased comics from "comiXology" are still saved, but all the magazines in the "Newsstand" folder don't backup the already downloaded issues anymore. Which means that, when restoring the iPad, I will have to download them all again. I find this very annoying, as this will take a lot of time and nerves - I guess I even will have to do this one by one manually. (Last time I checked these "Condé Nast" magazine apps could only download this way and even weren't multitasking capable - which means that I 1. Have to stay in the app, 2. Watch that the iPad does not lock itself after a few minutes and 3. Look when I can press the next issue to download ... Major pain in the ass! Mabye this changed with the "restore purchases?" option at the beginning, I haven't tried this - but I am afraid this also only shows you which issues you have already paid, not starts every download automatically ... Talking about that, what about the whole "Always downloads the newest issue in the background" thing in Newsstand?? Doesn't work for me, at least not with Wired, New Yorker, Vanity Fair etc. Guess another "Condé Nast" thing, but however ... Not the main topic here.)

Does anybody else experience this? I searched the WHOLE net, believe me, and really nobody talks about this problem. Which leads me to the conclusion that either Apple changed it, but others don't see a problem in having to download them all again when buying a new iPad (and therefore don't post about it). Or Apple did NOT change it and I have a problem with my iPad. Did Apple mabye change this with introducing the "iCloud", preventing that most of the people would run out of space with their 5GB? I couldn't understand this decision, as I would expect at least an option for this - especially for backing up to a hard drive, not online. As stated at the very beginning, everything worked this way before, a complete backup including all my downloaded magazines.

Ad to the technical thing, I already tried everything: deleting the whole backup and starting a new one again. The normal way and the "right-click on the device name in iTunes" way. I even backuped the iPad on another, fresh computer the second way in case there's something wrong with my iTunes. It won't save my in-app purchased magazines again. A full, fresh re-install would be the very last possibility for me, as I have a lot of settings in my other iPad apps - and for this, I also have to be 100% sure that it should work after that. If Apple really disabled/forbid including the downloaded magazines in the backup at some point (again, iCloud introduction?), I can do a fresh re-install as often as I want ...

If anybody here can bring light on this topic, it would be nice if you could let me know. Thanks a lot for reading and your help, really appreciated

2. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Apple changed a policy with iOS 5. In app downloads are no longer stored in an app's "Documents" folder, which is part of the backup. Now they are stored in "temporary" folders (forget the exact name), that are not backed up.

This has been an issue not only with backups, but also if someone's iOS device fills up, those temporary folders get cleared automatically, causing people to lose things they've downloaded (say a comic from the Comixology app).

Realistically, the latter problem is only an issue for people who use every megabyte of storage, but it's enough people to cause a little bit of a complaint.

3. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Dorkington,

thanks a lot for your answer and your clarification. In that case, I guess I have to live with it. Nevertheless, for people who store a lot of in-app purchased magazines on the iPad like me, these changes are really not very helpful (to say the least) when restoring/buying a new iPad. Well, nothing I can really do about it I guess. (A third-party software solution to access the file system, save the magazines from the temp folder and drop them back after installing the new iPad won't work and/or not be recognized correctly by the apps, I guess?)

At least I know now. Thanks again for the reply.