Did apple drop support for windows xp on the new MBPs?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pc2mac2011, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Pc2mac2011 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I am gona be buying my first Mac! I ve been looking around any info of how windows preform on the new mbp. I read 2 posts from different people on apple discussion about how they cannot get win xp to boot while win 7 works fine!
    Anyone had this problem? Or tried to install win xp?
    Thanks guys

2. hyteckit Guest

Sounds more like Microsoft dropping support for Windows XP. Hardware makers stop supporting Windows XP as well.

Maybe try Fusion or Parallels Desktop.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

4. Lann macrumors member

im also relying on XP working on these new Mac Pros :/

5. Pc2mac2011 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well it doesn't matter if windows is dropping support for xp! If xp can run on 2010 MacBooks I don't know why apple will not allow it to run on 2011 MacBooks!
    Im not goin to buy a 400 $ copy of windows 7 to run a couple of games and apps windows xp takes less space and performs as good and windows 7 for basic stuff

6. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

The 2011 macbooks have newer processors, maybe intel stopped supporting winXP, or maybe apple changed the motherboard. Also that's an old OS you're talking about, they don't need to support it now that windows 7 is out. Does apple support older versions than Tiger? I don't think so. Maybe windows XP takes less space (I didn't think anyone would care about this...), but it doesn't perform as good as windows 7. Last thing: 400$? I have 1 word for you. Torrent. Google for it.

That's what I had to say.

7. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

You need to start shopping somewhere else if windows 7 costs you $400!

8. OSMac macrumors 65816

Dont blame it on Apple, I'd guess it might be a case of drivers not being available for the newer parts.
    Cant expect Apple to write drivers for an OS released 10 years ago by another company?

9. KPOM, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

KPOM macrumors G5

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. The late-2010 MacBook Airs officially support only Windows 7.

It's time to move on from XP, and it's best to forget that Vista ever existed, so I'd highly suggest going with Windows 7, particularly if you are getting an SSD on your MacBook Pro. Windows 7 is designed for multi-core processors, SSDs, and lots of other technology that didn't exist in 2001 when XP was released.

If it's just a few games you are running, my advice is to bit the bullet and buy a $99 Windows 7 Home Premium update DVD. You're eligible if you have a legitimate copy of XP. Since it's an "upgrade" DVD, you'll need to install Windows 7 twice. Blame Microsoft, not Apple here. Windows 7 Upgrade is looking for an existing installation to install itself upon, so the first time you run a clean install, it will load everything but not let you enter the product key to activate it. Reboot then, and install Windows again as an "upgrade" to your

Alternatively, download Winclone 2.2 from CNet (unfortunately, it's abandonware so eventually it will stop working, but it did still work on my late-2010 MacBook Air), and move your XP partition from your current MacBook to the Boot Camp partition on the new one. You can then install Windows 7 on top of XP as a clean install and activate it.

10. the5count macrumors newbie

If you can get a cheap copy of Win 7, use it instead of XP. Win 7 is the best OS that MS ever came up with, and the GUI is quite Mac-like. If you must run XP, look into VMware, as I hear good things about it. The only reason I don't have Win 7 installed on my white MacBook is because Win 7 has no drivers for my old wide-carriage HP printer- and I've tried all the work-arounds. The 2011 MBPs use much different silicone and Intel/Apple probably doesn't support the right drivers to make XP work on the new laptops. Good luck :).

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

You need to be installing at the very least an SP2 XP for it to work, if you're trying to install the original, windows XP, that won't work.