Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I ask because lately Facetime call quality has gone up considerably, and I wonder if a workaround was found for that patent. It's been quite a while since that happened.

It would be a shame if they couldn't find a way around the patent because having to use a proxy server is so inefficient and clunky!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Okay, so I decided to do a tcpdump on my network while in a Facetime call, and GUESS WHAT!

The packets were going directly to the IP of the person I was FaceTiming with! Sounds like Apple found a way around that stupid patent.

It's wonderful; the call quality is so much higher and the latency much reduced. If you've seen improved FT since iOS 7 or 7.1, this is likely why.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I wonder what happened. A patent isnt a blockade, they can buy out or pay for rights, etc.

Could you do us a favor though? Screen shot all your info. While I believe you it's only your word vs, you know?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wonder what happened. A patent isnt a blockade, they can buy out or pay for rights, etc.

Could you do us a favor though? Screen shot all your info. While I believe you it's only your word vs, you know?

Not going to screenshot because it has my IP, and the IP of the person I was FTing with, and I don't care to release that info.

But what reason would I have to lie about this? I don't think there's any way I could profit from telling people that P2P Facetime is back. It's just a nice fact.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
My girlfriend and I would get annoyed and pissed to no end from the connection frequently breaking up but we've both noticed in the last few days that our calls have been pristine. Hope it holds up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.