Did Apple ever release their OS for pcs?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by newmacuser23, Aug 18, 2010.

1. newmacuser23 macrumors member

I heard that in the 90s apple released their OS to pcs is this true?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not true.

Back in the 90s after Jobs was fired, they experimented with "clones" not PC clones but rather macintosh clones. It diluted the brand, cut into apple's profits and failed to generate any serious marketshare increase. When Jobs returned he killed off the program.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

They had a licensing agreement with other hardware manufacturers who made so-called "Macintosh Clones".

PC is short for Personal Computer and a Mac is a PC too, it's just that PC is often associated with computers running Windows and the word Mac/s is used for computers running Mac OS or an Apple OS.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, they used the money that they got when Microsoft bought them.

5. webmunki macrumors newbie

Wasn't ever released but for a very short while the first iteration of Rhapsody - which became MacOS X - ran on standard PC hardware but was never released except to developers.

Still have the disk :)

Attached Files:

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually Rhapsody never became OSX but was an attempt (a failed attempt) to upgrade the classic mac os. They then purchased Jobs' NeXt and used that OS (OpenStep) as the basis in creating OSX

7. webmunki macrumors newbie

Pretty sure you might be thinking of Copland as the OS Apple had been working on under Amelio. But perhaps my memory isn't perfect.

I certainly remember being blown away by Rhapsody, and apart from some superficial stuff - it was not no longer the MacOS. Either way - there is a wiki page on Rhapsody here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody_%28operating_system%29

8. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Which points out that Rhapsody was OPENSTEP, and was made AFTER the NeXT purchase.

Maflynn was plain wrong. Rhapsody is what eventually became OS X.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oops you're right, I was thinking of Copland. Thanks for the clarification :)

10. blunderboy macrumors 6502

Rhapsody is the proto-Mac OS X, with a Classic-styled interface and Nextstep/Openstep underpinnings.