Did Apple fix the home button for iPhone 6?

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
I had an iPhone 4 and after using it for several years, the home button would only work some time so I had to enable assistive touch and have gotten somewhat used to it now.

I remember somewhere that Apple made improvements to the home button design in the iPhone 5/5s compared to the iPhone 4 so using the home button a lot won't make it unusable.

Anyone confirm? thanks

I'ved skipped several generations of iPhone so I'm not to sure.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I had an iPhone 4 and after using it for several years, the home button would only work some time so I had to enable assistive touch and have gotten somewhat used to it now.

I remember somewhere that Apple made improvements to the home button design in the iPhone 5/5s compared to the iPhone 4 so using the home button a lot won't make it unusable.

Anyone confirm? thanks

I'ved skipped several generations of iPhone so I'm not to sure.
It is hugely dramatically better then past home buttons, the 5S made the home button much better and feel better more solid then past iPhones and the new iPhone 6's take that even further.

A gigantic leap espcially if you are coming from the 4, so much more sturdier and solid and clicky and stays like that alongside with a virtually unscratchable home button(home buttons in the past would always get scratched and that bothered me, never a issue on the 5S/6)

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
The only thing I'm worried about is if Apple fixed their lighting cables, because I'm honestly tired of having my cables wear turtlenecks.

But the home button is good now.

Last edited:

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
it does feel different than previous home buttons, but I'm angry that apple made it so that you can double tap it for reachability but didn't make it to touch it to go home like virtual home. I can't wait to jailbreak specifically for that feature.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Time will tell. Had two button fails on my 4. Power button fail on my 5. My wife's 5's home button started SPINNING around and then became detached inside the phone (could tip it one way or another).

After having two home button fails I've always been paranoid how much I actually use my home button. Honestly shouldn't be like that

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Time will tell. Had two button fails on my 4. Power button fail on my 5. My wife's 5's home button started SPINNING around and then became detached inside the phone (could tip it one way or another).

After having two home button fails I've always been paranoid how much I actually use my home button. Honestly shouldn't be like that
You dont need to be, the 5S and 6 home button structures and new home button design under the surface of the phone is dramatically better then all previous iPhones before them and will stand the test of time just fine.

Huge difference between a plastic home button on all previous iPhones and now a stainless steel ring and sapphire glass as the home button on the 5S/6

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
It is hugely dramatically better then past home buttons, the 5S made the home button much better and feel better more solid then past iPhones and the new iPhone 6's take that even further.

A gigantic leap espcially if you are coming from the 4, so much more sturdier and solid and clicky and stays like that alongside with a virtually unscratchable home button(home buttons in the past would always get scratched and that bothered me, never a issue on the 5S/6)
Thank you for the info.

I knew I read somewhere that they made it better. That's good. I'll probably still use the assistive touch sometimes just cause I got used to it.

themyst

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Yeah, the old home button kinda sucked. Both my 4 and 4S home buttons started flaking out after a while.

The power button also had issues on both. They stopped "clicking".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.