Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
One of my co-workers claimed that Apple never gives new computers or devices as replacements. All replacements are refurbished. While that may be true in certain instances, I'm not too certain in my case. What do you think? I bought an early-2011 MacBook Pro at the end of February (within days after they were launched) then within the 2-week period, I brought it back for another MacBook Pro out of fear my computer was an overheater.

Given that I replaced the computer so soon after the launch, how could the replacement have been refurbished? It came in a new box and all.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
You friend is completely wrong. I just picked up my replacement macbook pro today. Got it brand new out of the box.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
One of my co-workers claimed that Apple never gives new computers or devices as replacements. All replacements are refurbished.
Your co-worker is dead wrong. If you get a new computer that ends up needing replacement and there are no refurbished models available yet, do you think Apple will make you wait until there are? Of course they use new computers and devices as replacements, when replacements are needed. You bought a new computer, not a refurb. In fact, some refurb models are replaced with new models.

Also, refurb models are given a different serial number, identifying them as a refurbished unit. You can check by entering your serial number here to find specs for your model.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you "exchange" something during the 14-day return window, they essentially give you a refund for the device you're returning, then they sell you a brand-new replacement. If the new one costs more, you pay the difference. If the new one costs less, you get a credit back on your card. If they're the same price, you won't even see a transaction on your card.

If you bring something back for warranty work, and they chose to replace it, service replacements can either be new, or refurbed. Either way, refurbs won't come in the normal "new" packaging that new ones come in.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Every refurb I've bought has a model # on it that correlates to a refurb machine. Every Apple replacement has been new.

Every CRU that I've gotten however has not been in full retail packaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.