Did Apple have to help me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sundog925, Apr 11, 2013.

1. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

bought my iPhone 5 on launch day at Verizon store.
    after a restore yesterday, phone would not activate for ANYTHING.
    tried countless restores and used Verizon site to try and activate.
    called Verizon, no help. no help in iTunes or anywhere else.
    had to activate old iPhone 4 to use.
    took it into Verizon. they tried a restore and a new SIM card (which i thought was the problem)
    no cure. basically they said they could send a replacement or 'try' apple store.
    went to apple. they did a DFU restore, which i tried to no avail.
    they said i might have to go back to Verizon to have them send a replacement.
    after about 20 minutes, guy comes back and says they just gonna swap it right there.
    was pleasantly surprised i wasn't hung out to dry. did apple have to swap it? I've read on here how if you buy at a ATT or Verizon store, you must go thru them?

what could of happened to my phone?
    just surprised me they helped me with no apple+ care, nor having bought it at an apple store. was a happy boy after that. :)

2. cipher29 macrumors regular

This is in my opinion why Apple is doing as well as they are.. They are known for just fixing the problem in most cases when things go wrong..

For example, if I smash my phone they will sell me a new one for like $199.. No one else does that.. They would all charge you the regular price.

It's a huge advantage that Apple has that no one else does.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's hard to tell. If the iPhone you swapped out was loading iOS correctly and not throwing any error messages about bad SIMs or anything like that, then the iPhone itself might've been fine. Based on what I know of Verizon's activation systems, I would say it's very possible that the problem wasn't with the phone at all, but with Verizon itself. At some point, an issue could've arisen that prevented the network from recognizing or activating your iPhone.

If I'm right, the "correct" fix would've been to find the problem in Verizon's activation systems, and fix it. But the reps you spoke probably lacked the knowledge to do that, so you got punted to Apple. And Apple's only way of fixing problems like that is to swap your phone out for another one, which would give you a different MEID, and would've avoided any blockage Verizon had with the original one. So, while not the REAL way to solve the problem, you were given a good workaround anyway.

With the phone already being swapped out and on its way to getting taken apart for spare parts, we'll probably never know.

4. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i swore back and forth it was the SIM card, but after a new one, it failed to activate. it was frustrating being stuck in the first few screens of activation.

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I bought my first 4S through Sprint.com and when my power button stopped working, the apple store replaced it right on the spot. I love it!

6. 617aircav Suspended

It's a good deal, but remember they take your damaged phone from you and refurbish it and use it as replacements.

7. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Apple will replace any iphone that is still under it's one year warranty regardless of weather it was purchased at a cell phone store or at Apple. This is one of the things that Apple does that I think it awesome compared to it's competitors.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You usually need an appointment, but they'll do their best to help you out if you don't have one :).

9. 617aircav Suspended

You are absolutely right. Their warranty system is the best, and the fact that they have stores makes everything work.

10. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Verizon doesn't even use SIM cards. Verizon SIM cards are only for international use on GSM networks. Verizon uses CDMA technology which doesn't use a SIM card. So it couldn't have been that.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

LTE needs said sim card, I believe.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't know why you're surprised that they helped you.
    All iPhones come with a 1 year AppleCare warranty no matter where you bought it or even if you bought it used.
    You don't need AppleCare Plus to receive service.
    Apple is well know for their good customer support.

13. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

+1 for apple service, I bought a used iPad 2 3G two weeks ago,it just had 3 weeks left for warranty,and discovered that the mic was not functioning properly,went into Apple store and walked out with a swapped iPad 2 3G :D

14. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Oh yes true forgot about that. I have the 4S so I forget about LTE some times. Can't wait until October. :D

15. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

The Verizon 4S has a SIM card too. I took mine out just to see if it would work without it and it wouldn't.

16. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Yeah it has one but technically it shouldn't be needed. Tbh I have no idea why it doesn't work without it. But it's only for international use basically. Long story short, CDMA networks don't use SIM cards.

17. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like others said, yep, all LTE phones on VZW use sims. That was my first guess and I kept taking it out and putting it in. but alas, didnt help =(

Im just surprised because Ive been reading too much on these forum the horror stories of having to JUST go to VZW or JUAST at&t when you buy iPhones from them. Or maybe it was all in my head lol. Either way, im glad I got a new phone (I think) it was produced in the 2nd or 3rd week of march, what are the chances its a refurb?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Glad it worked out man.
    But yes you can go directly to Apple for warranty service even if you bought it at Best buy, AT&T, walmart, Target etc...
    Apple will still cover it and most likely you will receive better customer support.