All iPads Did Apple hit the right price points on new iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PracticalMac, Oct 23, 2013.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Since every iPad always starts at $499 we have a baseline.

Is the nearly similarly equipped, just slightly smaller iPad Mini with Retina at $399 well priced?

The 1st iPad Mini did about 30% of sales compared to full size according to analyst reports, so...

I think if Apple priced the 2 new iPad models right, the sales % should be same, 30% for Retina Mini, and 70% for full size.

Thoughts?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No. Tablet prices are lowering while Apple has now raised the iPad mini price. When the iPad 3 came out with retina, it wasn't more expensive than the base iPad 2.

16 GB base is laughable. $399 for a wifi only 16 GB mini is a tough one to accept.

3. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

People just love to complain while completely forgetting where tech was a few years ago. Most exciting thing we could buy years ago was a laptop for $600. Now we can buy an iPad mini that has more freaking pixels than my 1080p tv for $400 and people come it of the woodwork to comment about how expensive it is.

I think all the new iPads hit the right price points because we can't point at the cheapest crap on the market and compare. Apple is in the business to make money. Only thing that confused the crap out of me was seeing the iPad 2 STILL being sold. And for $400! That really is...pretty crazy

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The retina display is worth an upvvharge so I dont have a problem with the mini 2 pricing. What I dont like is that base models get 16GB which these days is simply skimpy and theres no other way to put it. 32GB ought to have been the base storage for the entry level price point.

So, in reality, a "base" iPad Air is $599 and a "base" ipad Mini is $499 since the 16GB model is rather undesireable.

5. tann macrumors 68000

I wonder what the lineup next year will be now.

Will the iPad mini 1 stick around still!? Can't see them lowering the iPad mini retina to $299.

I just hope 2014 is the year we get 32/64/128gb. Enough of this $300 to upgrade by only 112gb!

6. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I think the iPad Air and Retina Mini prices are right. But the fact that in this day and age Apple is still selling the iPad 2 and Mini on iOS 7 is kind of a sham. My iPad 2 does not run iOS 7 well. Has anyone at Apple tried using the keyboard on these devices? It's super laggy in iOS 7. Also, the iPad 2 still has a 30-pin connector! Apple should have just kept the fatter iPad around spec'd lower. Even just a standard A6 is faster than the A5X in the first retina iPad. Or even do non-retina but with 1GB of ram and an A6 just so that people who are dumb enough to buy the thing won't be hosed next year when they can't upgrade to iOS 8. Do something similar for the $299 non-retina Mini and maybe put it in a plastic enclosure and a C after the name. Apple sold the iPhone 3GS up until September of last year and it can't run iOS 7. Don't expect that these 512MB A5-based devices will be able to run iOS 8—or at least run it very well at all—as they are the last of their kind. I think for these more "disposable" iPads should be priced at $249/$299 at the most.

Again, Retina Mini and iPad Air prices are good. If you want a magical iPad Mini Retina that isn't a generation behind, you gotta pay up. The only alternative is for Apple to start subsidizing these devices like Google or Amazon by using ads and selling your personal information to companies. Pick your poison. I'll gladly pay an extra $100-200 than deal with that crap.

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I thought the mini blew away the larger iPad in sales. I saw posts repeatedly here mini outsells larger iPad 2 to 1, etc etc.

You have a source for analysts report?

If the Mini did outsell the larger ones, it makes sense for the new one with better resolution and specs would be priced more than the first to decrease the inbalance in sales. I'd buy the Air at $499 before I'd buy the second Mini at $399.

8. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The new Nexus 7 has very good specs, nearly the same pixel density (1920×1200/323 pixel compared to mini’s 2048 x 1536/326 pixel), yet is about $150 less. Fire HD is also competitive, and for half the price of Rmini.
    Now, if the Rmini started with 32GB storage, it would be much better deal (same with iPad Air).

iPad 2 stayed because of the Education market.
    But to stay at $399, yes, that is nuts, unless Apple offers and Education discount.

9. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

While new iPad apps are increasing and new quality Tablet apps are decreasing..

10. silentbob007 macrumors regular

The storage is the toughest pill to swallow for me. The $100 increment no longer seems reasonable (including decent profit) with current pricing on storage.

11. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Well, it did apparently. The info I read must have been old, or perhaps was some other metric.

Explains why Mini 1 only had a $30 price drop, any lower and people might choose that over the latest models.