Did Apple just fragment their phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by linkgx1, Sep 23, 2014.

1. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Some I'm reading [​IMG]article on CNET and realize something:

Did Apple just fragment their iOS devices by releasing the iPhone 6 Plus? I wonder this because the 6 has a much larger display, but now developers have to think of a third device: a phablet. It's a bit annoying to have the same exact layout on an iPhone 4S when there's a screen to take advantage of the real estate. Look at the 6Plus vs Mini in that photo.

I noticed this on my Note 3, too. Most of the apps don't consider the ''phablet/larger phones'' category. Everything gets stretched out.

Does anybody else think that Apple just fragmented the iPhone or am I overthinking it?

2. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Developers have had to adjust screen sizes from the 4 to the 5. Now they will just have to adjust the 6 and the 6+.

It's not like android phones where some flag ship phones have to wait half a year for an update the nexus got from the get go.

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

To be honest, I wish the 6+ had a 16:10 or 3:2 ratio. It would fragment, yes, but at that point it would need to deliberately be a decision to design specifically for that device. And as a bonus, you get extra horizontal space for reading (or extra vertical space when typing in landscape).

Essentially creating a unique third type of device in Apple's portfolio.