Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Some I'm reading
can-the-iphone-6-replace-your-gaming-handheld
article on CNET and realize something:

Did Apple just fragment their iOS devices by releasing the iPhone 6 Plus? I wonder this because the 6 has a much larger display, but now developers have to think of a third device: a phablet. It's a bit annoying to have the same exact layout on an iPhone 4S when there's a screen to take advantage of the real estate. Look at the 6Plus vs Mini in that photo.

I noticed this on my Note 3, too. Most of the apps don't consider the ''phablet/larger phones'' category. Everything gets stretched out.

Does anybody else think that Apple just fragmented the iPhone or am I overthinking it?

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Developers have had to adjust screen sizes from the 4 to the 5. Now they will just have to adjust the 6 and the 6+.

It's not like android phones where some flag ship phones have to wait half a year for an update the nexus got from the get go.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
To be honest, I wish the 6+ had a 16:10 or 3:2 ratio. It would fragment, yes, but at that point it would need to deliberately be a decision to design specifically for that device. And as a bonus, you get extra horizontal space for reading (or extra vertical space when typing in landscape).

Essentially creating a unique third type of device in Apple's portfolio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.