Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyphe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Hi guys,

My wife bought a flat panel from an apple store about 4+ years ago that I have always been positive was a "plasma" display. Recently however, somebody mentioned to me that Apple has never made plasma displays.

Now, I'm positive that she bought a plasma because I remember the conversation at the time we bought it. Not only that, but she actually has very mild burn-in on the monitor which i don't think is even physically possible on an lcd/led screen.

Can anyone answer this question? We bought it in Toronto - Canada, in case that makes any kind of difference. I was originally positive, but now ... not so much - although the burn-in still confuses the hell out of me.

Any input appreciated! Cheers, Phil :confused:

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Even the earliest 30" Cinema Displays were LCD. In fact they were all LCD. As far as I'm aware Apple never has made a Plasma display.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Apple never made a Plasma display. All of them are LCDs, and yes, burn it is absolutely possible on LCD screens.

For further information, check Wikipedia on Apple Cinema Display.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
The mysterious stranger is correct. Apple never sold a plasma TV or computer monitor. If your wife's TV were an Apple product, then it would have a tasteful Apple logo on the front. It also have a lot of Apple-related information on the back. You would not have to ask about it. Download and install Mactracker. It lists just every single hardware product and every version of its OS that Apple ever sold.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Apple never made a Plasma display. All of them are LCDs, and yes, burn it is absolutely possible on LCD screens.

For further information, check Wikipedia on Apple Cinema Display.
LCDs can suffer stuck pixels. However, they form an image by visible light reflecting from or being transmitted through an organic material in the crystalline state. There is nothing to burn. This is most unlike the plasma display where the display suffers physical damage due to the tiny vacuum tubes that make up the display being "on" for protracted periods of time.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
There are a lot of less informed salesmen that call anything with a flat panel "plasma" or possibly somebody mixing up the word plasma with the model name being Cinema Display, that's likely where you confusion comes from. I don't recall any plasma displays marketed at computer users.
The "burn in" is completely possible. There were a few models of apple displays and iMacs that are heavily affected by this if they are 3-4 years old. I don't know what it was with those displays that made it so bad, but some are very unsightly.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
LCDs can suffer stuck pixels. However, they form an image by visible light reflecting from or being transmitted through an organic material in the crystalline state. There is nothing to burn. This is most unlike the plasma display where the display suffers physical damage due to the tiny vacuum tubes that make up the display being "on" for protracted periods of time.

The burn in issue is well present on LCD displays! It has always been and I don't expect it to change any time soon.

I am well aware of this issue as my first 30" Cinema suffered from this issue as well after three years of usage. The burn in effect was very visible if a window stayed for more than a few minutes on the same place.

lyphe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Gtk and thanks for the comments. I just always assumed plasma after the salesman referred to it as such, saw the size & weight of it, and then noticed the very mild burn-in recently.

Cheers!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
The burn in issue is well present on LCD displays! It has always been and I don't expect it to change any time soon.

I am well aware of this issue as my first 30" Cinema suffered from this issue as well after three years of usage. The burn in effect was very visible if a window stayed for more than a few minutes on the same place.
FWIW, I have a 23" Apple Cinema HD Display (2002) and a 23" Apple Cinema HD Display (23-inch DVI) (2004). On neither of these nor on any of the various and sundry Dell LCD displays connected to the Dell PCs around my firm is there even the slight hint of this "burn-in" of which you speak. If it were possible, then I would certainly expect to see it because objects may stay in one location of my screen for months.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but burn-in is impossible in the case of LCD. What you are mistaking for burn-in, I don't know. However, it is not burn-in.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Not to put too fine a point on it, but burn-in is impossible in the case of LCD. What you are mistaking for burn-in, I don't know. However, it is not burn-in.

You should really ask google on this one! Call it burn-in, image persistance or whatever you like. The effect is present, though.
I'm not saying that ALL LCDs do suffer from this issue, however, some do.

Albeit burn-ins on LCDs might theoretically not possible, LCDs do suffer from burn-ins!
It is a well known issue, the discussion whether they do, or do not suffer from the burn-in effect is therefore completely unnecessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.