iPad Did Apple plan to oust the iPad 3 from the start?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jpix55, Oct 24, 2012.

1. jpix55 macrumors member

From the naming of each generation of the iPads, I am thinking that Apple knew they were going to kill the 3rd generation iPad as soon as possible. The iPhones have followed a logical numbering system (3G - 3GS - 4 - 4S - 5), but the iPads have not (2 - "New" - "with Retina display"). With this type of naming, it seems as though the iPad 3 (as we call it) was the minor refresh in anticipation of the major upgrade of the iPad 4. The Apple store now sells three iPads (Mini, 2, and "with Retina display") and the iPad 3 is no where to be found. It is as if it was only a placeholder for the iPad 4.

Maybe I am reading too much into the names of Apple products, but if visiting this site has taught me anything, it's that clues about upcoming Apple products come in many shapes and sizes.

2. amarcus macrumors 6502

Yes. Apple's roadmap invariably stretches a few generations ahead.

3. Red05 macrumors newbie

I think you have an excellent observation and I think what they did was, unlike when the iPad3 replaced the iPad2, the iPad4 is meant to be sold side-by-side with the iPad3 instead of a pure replacement product. Hence, they really had to do away with the numbering since the numbering screams "OLD VERSION" way too loud and clear for anyone considering the iPad3.

4. marty1980 macrumors 6502

I think the 2 main factors were the A6 and LTE.

I don't think the A6 was ready for a spring iPad launch. So they modified the A5 to support some of the features they wanted and called it the A5X.

The LTE chip that is in the iPad 3rd gen doesn't support many carriers; especially outside the US. Notice the 4th gen has wide support. I believe this is another factor in why we are seeing the 4th gen released after such a short period.

So while it probably wasn't Apple's initial plan, when the components weren't ready it became their new plan to have the limited edition iPad 2S... I mean iPad 3rd gen... I mean new iPad that's now old but was new 6 months ago...

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

They planned on ousting the first iPad from the begining as well.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

While it may be fun speculating on Apple's "grand plan" like it was the technical arm of the Illuminati, the reality is that they can't possibly have a long-term plan written in stone. As technological advances occur and demand of existing product strays from expected results, Apple needs to make adjustments accordingly.

People were expecting retina-display iPads a year before they were introduced and the conspiracy-minded believed that it was being withheld intentionally. However when the retina iPad was finally introduced it was thicker, heavier and hotter than the previous generation, so even waiting a year for battery/processor technology to catch up required some design compromises.

Apple doesn't necessarily take cues from the competition but it does take action to ensure that sales growth continues, which necessarily requires an answer to competing devices. So, no, I don't believe Apple created the iPad 3 as a temporary measure.

7. Red05 macrumors newbie

I think Applesoft is smart enough to know what they are going to be doing 6 months from now. I have no doubt that they knew when they released the iPad3 that the iPad4 would be coming much sooner than the rest of us expected. Maybe that was a factor in their naming strategy or maybe it wasn't, but you really can't say that 6 months is so much of a long-term strategy that they didn't know they would be doing this.

8. jpix55, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

jpix55 thread starter macrumors member

The point was that the updates usually occur on a yearly cycle (or more in the case of the iPhone 4), and that a six month total revamp was unexpected.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes it was unexpected.

10. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Certainly makes the 3rd gen look like it was a half baked idea from the get go. Its like it was a beta version to the 4. Poor LTE support and rigged processor that ran no faster than its A5 counterpart .

Yes Apple had this all in the books I am sure of it, back when SJ died they claimed to have a several years ahead roadmap that was made by him so certainly they would have known.

Oh well, this will teach me to pay for top of the line model that didnt feature a processor update. No iPad updates for me unless it is featuring a new processor and I can wait for the A7 since my 3 does what I need it to do for now.

11. Xanthos macrumors member

When I met with a friend of mine today, he seemed surprised for a second when I mentioned the iPad 4.

Even though he watched the keynote, it didn't register to him. The introduction of the iPad 4 was so brief it's as if Apple wasn't really proud of it.

12. jpix55 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it did seem like Apple presented the iPad 4 as just a refresh of the iPad 3 (an iPad 3.5, if you will), but the update to the internals was substantial. It's as if we were not supposed to care about the iPad 4.

13. profets macrumors 68040

I don't think Apple intended to oust the iPad 3rd gen, I think they intended to turn the iPad into a product like the Mac, where they can update it as new internals become available. Not call it the iPad 3, 3S, 4, etc.

The A6 SoC and additional LTE chips were now ready so they updated the iPad.

14. Liquinn Suspended

True. When will A7/A7X proccessors be ready? =)

15. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

They did mention how fast it was and how it would leave their competitors in the dust. So far back you couldn't even see them in the rearview mirror. I remember that part.