Did Apple Pull Time Machine+AEBS AirDisk Support?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brockm, Aug 10, 2008.

1. brockm macrumors member

I recently tried to reconfigure my Time Machine with my AirDisk on both my MacBook Pro and MacBook to a new drive I setup on my AEBS. The drive is formatted HFS+, the sharing permissions are fine... and Time Machine does not allow me to use the volume for Time Machine backup.

So I decided to plug the old drive in that had my old TM archives on it, and now TM won't see that one either.

If I select "Browse Other Time Machine Disks" from the Time Machine icon's context menu, I *am* able to see my old Time Machine archive (and browse) it from my AirDisk, but Time Machine will no longer let me backup to it.

So I decided to go to the Apple Support site, and found an article that was added less than two weeks ago:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2038

Time Machine in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard can be used to back up to many kinds of Mac OS Extended-formatted drives, but it does not support AirPort Extreme's AirPort Disk feature.

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Time Machine backs up every hour to the disk attached to my AEBS running 7.3.2, but I do not know about the latest version 7.3.3 - I have held off updating because of other problems that have been reported with that version. My wife's iMac also does TM backups using the same drive. However, TM backups on an AEBS drive are not in the same format as TM backups on a direct-connected drive, so you cannot simply move the drive from your computer to the AEBS and have it work; the backups will still be there but TM cannot use them unless you plug the drive back into your computer.

3. brockm thread starter macrumors member

That's not what I'm doing. I'm trying to setup a brand new Time Machine backup set. It's a blank drive, formatted HFS+

4. danny_w macrumors 601

What version of AEBS and Leopard are you using? I have Leopard 10.5.4 and AEBS 7.3.2

5. brockm thread starter macrumors member

Exact same. Like I said, it was working perfect up until this change. Now I can't even reconnect Time Machine to the old drive that WAS working.

6. texspeed macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I'm seeing the same problem after adding a new disk to AEBS with two Mac OS 10.5.4 clients and an AEBS with 7.3.2. Interestingly, this *did* work with one of these systems previously and another disk. I do not recall any issues when initially setting this up with the prior disk. This was some time back, but unfortunately I didn't record the specific versions of Mac OS 10.5 and AEBS FW then. I did set this up after Apple announced *support* for this facility earlier this year to much rejoicing.

I would have to assume that a recent update has somehow broken this capability. The recent posting on the Apple web site seems, unfortunately, to confirm this. This puts a major crimp in some plans I had to incorporate TM more fully into my backup strategy.

7. moloukhya macrumors member

I just took my external HD which I was using for Time Machine connected via USB to my MBP, and connected it to my AEBS as an airdisk and it's working fine since yesterday :) My AEBS firmware is 7.3.2, i'm on leopard 10.5.4.

Hope that gives you hope!