Did apple re-enable rating apps upon deletion?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yayitsezekiel, May 26, 2010.

1. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

just got this today

Attached Files:

2. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I have always had that, would like to know if it can be disabled.

3. yayitsezekiel thread starter macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

hmm...they stopped it for a little bit, weird!

4. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I think it's the other way around, they switchedcto that method a year or so ago.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

they removed this in the 4.0 beta but 3.1 firmware still has this

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    this.

I actually had the same thought when I deleted an app a few weeks ago.

7. angevil macrumors regular

They should remove it for good. When you delete an app, it usually means you hate it so if you rate it, you give it one low ratings.

I don′t want to open another thread to ask this, so I am going to do it here. When you update existing apps (when the update is available from the App store) does it keep all your data, progress in the game etc. each time or does it sometimes deletes everything?

And what happens if you do it from Installous to ″try″ the apps? Does it do the same as the App store? Keeps the data?

8. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

They need to delete this for good, I don' think anyone actually takes the time to use it

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's WHY I liked it.

Face it, there are a lot of creappy apps out there that barely do what they promise.

If 1,000 people load it and 950 instantly delete it then that app's rating is going to sink fast. As well it should.

I always thought of that pop-up as the method by which bad apps are killed. I'm gonna miss it.

10. angevil macrumors regular

You are right about that! I see how that can be a good thing. The only problem is who will give a good app 5 stars. Usually if you like an app, you don′t delete it and thus not rate.

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I can't speak in regards to games, I'm assuming so, but for other apps it transfers all the info just fine to the updated app.

Not answering this, and you're not going to get help here for pirated apps. Look up the hackulous forums and ask there.

12. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Actually a good point. Wouldn't have thought of it that way.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, the way I see it, the ratings system is currently TWO systems that overlap and are melded together.

Let's imagine them being seperate for a second:

System A:
    People who use an app and then decide to go to iTunes and rate it. This should be a somewhat 'fair' rating determined by users who like it. It's a small percentage of users, but since they all like the app well enough to keep it you can trust that the ratings are based on actual knowledge of the app.

System B:
    People who erase the app and are prompted to rate it. SOME of these will be high ratings (I've erased games I'm done playing and given them a '5' using this method) but the overall score will be dragged down since EVERY dissatisfied customer is being asked to participate.

Now, it would be interesting to see these scores listed seperatley, but we don't have that optoin. The numbers are just mashed all together.

But this is STILL usefull to us! Why? Because it's not just each group's rating that maters, but its size.

Imagine a really good app that people love. It's going to have a large number of "A" people and only a small number of "B" people. So the "B" group doesn't really affect their numbers all that much.

Now imagine a really bad app. The "B" group will quickly overwhelm the "A" people and, as I said, that's a good thing.

So on both ends (really good or really bad) I think this system works well.

Where it's less clear to me is the mid-range apps. The ones that are pretty good but not great. In those cases does the "B" group unfairly over-run the A's? It's not so obvious either way and we have no way of knowing. But Apple has those numbers. Perhaps they've learned that the mid-range group is actually suffering. They can see the numbers, they'd know if it's true. So perhaps that's why they're dropping the feature.

It's a shame, like I said I appreciate what the system does for 'bad apps.' But if they've determined it does more harm than good, well then that's that!

14. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I agree, there are lots of crappy apps out there, but how do you define "crappy" and are you sure everyone else defines "crappy" the same way you do? Crappy to me is an app that doesn't work right, and I think and hope you agree - crashes, doesn't respond, no instructions, things like that. But maybe someone else just thinks "crappy" means "I don't like it" or "I can't win this game" or "this is boring." And trust me, there are plenty of simple-minded people out there for whom "crappy" means something that self-serving. I won't rate an app based on my opinion of it but I will rate it based on problems. For that reason alone, Apple needs to remove the "rate on remove" so good apps don't get unnecessarily downgraded.

15. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I had the 4.0 beta ask me once on one app, why not rate this app if you like it? or words to that effect when I ran it. So looks like they're thinking about alternatives.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It sounds like you're arguing that they should remove ALL rating systems from the store, everywhere. And not just apps, but movies and music too. Even after this 'rate on remove' feature is gone you'll still have people leaving "self-serving" reviews on the store, right?

The problems you mention are real, but the only way I can see to fix them is to stop letting anyone rate anything.

Is that really a good solution?