Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did your MBP get fixed when you sent it in?

• All issues I had got fixed (please mention your issues)

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Some of the issues got fixed (please mention your issues)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Nothing got fixed (please mention your issues)

Votes: 21 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
I had to get my logic board and my screen replaced (not fixed).

They forgot, apparently, to replace the logic board. It still has all the same problems, still fails the hardware test and it's not mentioned anywhere on the fix receipt thingie.

I don't think I'd be able to stand losing my baby for two weeks again. But it's summer break, so all I'll be doing is gaming ( :) ) rather than working, so the two weeks wouldn't be AS bad.

As for the screen, it's flawless. Everything else is messed up though ;)

Oh, yeah: A question for those MBP owners who have gotten their logic boards replaced:
1) Did it fix the buzzing?
2) Does the computer perform better?
thanks.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
After working fine for more than a week, my MBP has developed the processor whine (which disappears under heavier load, ala opening PhotoBooth). I can't figure out why it would have run fine for 10 days only to develop the problem upon opening it today.

And I had a nice, cool-running one, too.

Cocoi

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2006
Netherlands
Geez, I would have loved NOT to have to post in here...

I am from the Netherlands. I bought a 8606... serial number Macbook Pro, 1.83 Ghz. It started with the whine, called Applecare and they told me about the repair option. I decided to think it over and in the meantime, my battery started dying when the laptop ran on battery power. After that, it bulged, and the trackpad stopped working. Upon inspection in the Apple Centre, the CASING itself was bent, the trackpad was simply molten and the battery was rather scary to look at. The people at the Apple Centre assured me they would call me to determine further actions. After a few weeks I have to call them only to hear it has been shipped to America they said it was rather severe.

I have been offered a replacement from the same production series and I refused it. I have been offered an 2.0 Ghz and I refused it. I paid 2100 euro's for a laptop that nearly burnt down my house and now, Apple is completely unwilling to admit that they made procedural errors and neglects my requests for compensation for not having the laptop, having had a serious health hazard and so on. They want me to lose a lot of money over this, apparently.

So, I too would like the well-known email adress, if anyone would care about my case. I am rather discontent and Apple in the Netherlands isn't going to do anything about it. I can take the 8606 replacement, or a machine worth 1800 in the store. I have claimed a 17-inch, if only for the distrust in the line of laptops mine belonged.

Saluki Alex

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Illinois
mcygn said:
I had my logic board replaced and can no longer read the searial number, get "SystemSeumb" where the serial no. should be. According to apple, all the replacement logic boards have blanks where the serial no. is and they have no way of coding in the old serial no. onto the new logic boards. They suggest reading it from "under the battery area." Ya. ok.

Thus a brand new computer, with a brand new replacement logic board means that the computer is LESS effective than before. As a colleague said, no longer being able to read the serial no. in the system profile is just "tacky"

The change of board also means that SMC firmware update must be reinstalled as must firmware update 1.0.1 - which you may have installed previously. They certainly didn't do this in the shop - or leave a note to say be sure to install these two firmware updates - one of which does NOT show up in software update.

The new board also changes your ethernet MAC address - so if any of your systems require your mac address to identify you on the network, check that, too. At least that no. shows up in the Network system prefs panel.

Tacky is right.

Ok, I just got my MBP back today and while the noise wasn't fixed, my serial number is still in the System Profiler even though they replaced my logic board.

ohno

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2006
I have brought the computer in multiple times to the genius bar for the horrible noises, but have been sent away saying it is supposed to do that. I finally had even more problems warranting real help, so I sent my MBP in on June 9th for repair because my computer overheated to the point of shutting down, the speakers were not working properly and the plugs on the left side (USB, firewire, etc) did not plug all the way in, and were VERY loose. The Brilliant people at the genius bar were very nice, but had really no idea what to do, so it was sent away. I have been run around the bush every day since with stories of needing parts that take 10+ days to get, 'expediting my repair' and every other reassuring textbook response. Still no real answer when I should be getting it back, they always just say very soon. 3 weeks of very soon.

ohno

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2006
thegreatluke said:
I had to get my logic board and my screen replaced (not fixed).

They forgot, apparently, to replace the logic board. It still has all the same problems, still fails the hardware test and it's not mentioned anywhere on the fix receipt thingie.

I don't think I'd be able to stand losing my baby for two weeks again. But it's summer break, so all I'll be doing is gaming ( :) ) rather than working, so the two weeks wouldn't be AS bad.

As for the screen, it's flawless. Everything else is messed up though ;)

Oh, yeah: A question for those MBP owners who have gotten their logic boards replaced:
1) Did it fix the buzzing?
2) Does the computer perform better?
thanks.

getting the logic board replaced takes forever;apparently they order it from somewhere that takes 10 days to mail from. and it has yet to fix my problems. It still runs slowly, and it did not fix the buzzing. also, when they replaced the logic board, they decided to replace the RAM, which also took 3 days to order. ask to get it replaced in store, or something more than sending it away. it takes forever and doesnt solve the problem!

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I need to go on and email a guy back about looking into this more... but this has been my experience, which I'm very disappointed in:

I called Apple about my issues and even after telling them all of them, they focused on the heat.
So I sent it in and had listed the following:
- extremely hot to the touch
- buzzing screen when not on full brightness
- dead battery (would only last about 5 minutes on a "full" charge... I had even calibrated it first thing when I got it)
- battery's casing was warping and making it sit unevenly on the desk
- airport dropping connection
- slightly dark areas around the middle of the screen
- and worst of all- the paint below my spacebar flaking off

I sent it off, got it back a week later after having been delayed waiting for a part, and they just replaced some internal component dealing with the heat sensor.

The computer still gets extremely hot (though there is a very slight noticable difference at times) and everything else was ignored.
To make it worse, it now whines where it never did before, and there are some kind of defects on the edge of the screen that weren't there when I sent it off (looks like scratches, but more like something was rubbed on the screen, not just scratch lines... kind of hard to describe).

This is my first Mac, and although I expected to have issues, I'm very disappointed with how it's been handled so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.