Did Apple take a step back on the iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by .Chris, Jul 20, 2008.

1. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

a Plastic back? I thought they were moving to all aluminum and glass structure on their products. The macbook pro, macbook air, imac, the 3 ipods and the old iphone all have this. But apple took a step back and went to plastic on the 3G?
    does the plastic back have to do with the new 3G and GPS? They had to make it stick out a bit more so they can throw in the new parts or what?

2. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Step forward IMO. Feels nicer in the hand than the original. The original always slides out of my hand (my dad currently has one).

My dad has the same opinion...he can't wait to get his new iPhone, which is on order with AT&T.

I do believe they switched solely to save money. The thicker back is a separate issue from the plastic back. It was probably made thicker to accommodate the extra stuff.

3. islandtitan macrumors regular

islandtitan

My understanding is that the plastic back allows for better antenna reception.

There's been some discussion on that in here somewhere, I believe.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

They've got nearly a dozen antennae in there. Until they can work out the ceramic/a material other than plastic, plastic it is.

Which would you rather have? Lack of reception, or reception? Apple's already got patents on looking into the area.

5. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

It's a step forward metal blocks reception plastic does not.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I disagree that the aluminum back was causing any reception problems. I usually had 4-5 bars in most places. It is only now with the 2.0 update on my 1G phone where I experience fewer bars. I placed my phone next to another phone with the 1.4 software on it. My friend had 5 bars and I had 2...in my house. :(

As for the design, I think it is a step back. I like the 1G phone design way better.

7. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i prefer the plastic back. i think it looks a lot nicer.

8. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

It's because the antennas were behind the plastic little cover that was on the bottom of your phone. Which broke off on mine a few weeks back.

They went 2 steps forward with the plastic back. Genius design and reception.

9. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

Step forward.

It feels better in my hand. It also aids reception (more than just edge/3g). As has been mentioned it was hard to maintain a solid grip on the 1st generation for me.

10. Alloye macrumors 6502a

I think Apple took a step forward, at least as far as ergonomics go. The iPhone 3G feels a lot more comfortable in the hand.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't like the look of it near as much, but if it improves reception, it's here to stay. But considering I will probably never carry my phone without a case again, it doesn't make much difference. In fact, I have a glossy black case on mine now. It shows prints like a mother, but oh well. At least the screen doesn't scratch at first sight like the old iPod screens do.

The headphone jack is an obvious plus. Everything else seems to be the same (to someone who doesn't own a new one). I just hope they start bumping storage up in a hurry because 8GB is really starting to be a strain. I'll live with it, but in a year I could see filling it up with 500MB of just apps (the Texas Hold 'Em game is about 132MB).

12. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

127.9MB to be exact. :)

13. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I wish there was a brushed aluminum one. Like the iPod Minis. I think that would look really nice.. :eek: :D Might kill reception though, idk. I only need wifi and the EDGE/3G signal, couldn't care less about GPS.

14. GNice macrumors 6502

IMHO...it is a step forward from a hardware perspective, but the firmware definitely has a ways to go...

15. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I think it's a big step forward. Something about it being so shiny too makes the old iPhone look archaic. I see the old one and think of it as old technology even though they are so close internally. I love the new design.

16. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

I had reception problems with the old iPhone so I'd say they took a step forward.

17. MonsterRain macrumors member

You want to talk about steps back? How bout the fact if someone sends you a picture via SMS, it provides a link and a code to go to some website for instead of the friggin' picture? Lame.

Then again, maybe the original iphone did this. I wouldn't know as I didn't have it. I had a $10 walmart phone because of AT&T's lies. :-D

18. eneisch macrumors 6502a

This is the way it works on the original iPhone as well. iPhone does not have MMS. You can however send and recieve e-mail photo attachments in the mail app.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...but how well does the GPS antenna pick up?;)

20. eneisch macrumors 6502a

The 3G antenna also has different reception properties than the Edge antenna.

21. derandrew09 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

yeah, what he said.