Did Apple underclock their Power Mac graphics cards?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jethryn Freyman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

So I have a Power Mac G5 (June 2004) with the Radeon 9600 XT graphics card. I know at other times Apple have been underclocked their GPUs (the Mobility Radeon X1600s in the first Intel iMacs come to mind...)

Anyway, the specs on the Wikipedia page say the core clock speed is 500MHz and the memory speed is 600MHz. However, the GPU in my Power Mac has the core/processor clocked at 400MHz and the memory clocked at 310MHz.

What the story here? Was it underclocked by Apple? I know if I overclock the memory by about 15% I start getting artefacts, but I've previously clocked the core up by 25% (to 500MHz) and the memory up by about 10% and been fine (in some games I got an extra ~20% performance.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

You've answered your own question. It appears that they're clocked about right. These cards are different from the retail versions and I would caution against overclocking any video card--Especially one with passive cooling. Most of the retail versions of these cards have fans.

If you need better performance for gaming, the best solution would be to get a better card.

3. goMac macrumors 603

The tower GPUs are not under clocked.

Fanless cards are likely under clocked for obvious reasons though, although this would be speeds set by ATI, not Apple.