Did Apple update their silicone/leather cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nirvanemesis, Feb 20, 2015.

1. nirvanemesis macrumors member

I have a launch day silicone case and the edges have been peeling and exposing the hard plastic. I've heard that there the newer cases fixed this problem and are made of better material (less grippy), but I couldn't find any official statement. Are there any news on this? Can I use the 1 year warranty to swap for a new one?

2. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I really love the silicone case but did have the issue of the bottom edges coming apart from the hard part. Not noticeably so but the silicone loosened up. The only way you could see it was to push on it with your finger. I returned it for an exchange after about a month with no issues. I don't take my new one off and on so I haven't had the issue this time around. You should definitely be able to return within the year warranty period.

3. nirvanemesis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I just got it replaced today. The store rep said there were some rushed launch day batches. The replaced silicone case feels a lot smoother.

4. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I finally took my silicone case purchased on iPhone 6 launch day into Apple and exchanged it. It does feel different.

5. Femme macrumors regular

Question for all Apple case users,

What's the warranty for the case? What covers it? I've been contemplating for 1999999 years on whether or not I should buy the leather case. I went in the Apple Store to check it out and just feeling how flimsy the case was, just made me walk away from spending $53 on it. It just doesn't seem like it's worth anything more than $10. BUT, it just looks so beautiful and simple that I'm STILL contemplating. Is it worth it?

6. nirvanemesis thread starter macrumors member

It's a one year warranty, so any normal wear and tear (like being worn out, not accidental damage) or defects will be covered.

7. Femme macrumors regular

So let's say you've been usingthe red leather for 9 months and it's discoloured from normal use, you can just go in the Apple Store and say, "hey, can I get a new one?"?

8. AE14 macrumors 65816

Is the Silicone better than it was previously? If so, I might give it another look. Hopefully it isn't still a lint magnet.

9. nirvanemesis thread starter macrumors member

I think the leather case packaging has a disclaimed that says the appearance of the case will change with use, so it probably won't be covered. The warranty covers stuff like the leather peeling off.

It felt less sticky and a lot harder and smoother to me. I wouldn't say it's a dramatic improvement though, cause it still picks up lint.

10. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I recently exchanged a silicone case with peeling at the bottom edges for a new one. I really like the silicone white case, otherwise I would have moved on to something else. I've tried many others but always go back to the Apple silicone.

Problem is that Apple knows they have a problem with these cases but although they gave me a new case, they also told me they would not replace another. These cases hold up just fine if you don't take them on and off. The pushing on and flexing of the bottom corners causes the silicone to come apart from the inner plastic. I wish they have fixed the problem but I doubt it.

11. myztikal47 macrumors regular

I just tried that, have had my leather case for 6 months or so for the 6+, was denied in store, guy said try contacting apple online. I just said thanks and walked out.