Did AT&T scam me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Aug 13, 2007.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I am one of the younger iPhone owners out there who lives in a community where these things would be stolen in a heartbeat. Me and my father agreed that if I got an iPhone, that I would also use one of his older phones to take to school/town at night. The clerk at the AT&T store said the best solution is to get a pre-paid plan for the older phone. I paid $150 for $1 for each day of use + $0.10 per minute. It didn't hit me till today. Could I have saved $150 by just switching out the SIM cards using the same iPhone plan on the other phone?

2. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

hmmmm that's a reeeeally good point. I may have heard elsewhere that iPhone SIM cards work fine in other AT&T phones. Take it back if you find out that you can do that. Good luck!

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Yeah sounds like you could have just picked up a cheap second phone and used it as your backup phone. Switched out SIM cards as needed.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Correct. An iPhone SIM works perfectly in other phones (AT&T locked or unlocked GSM.) I can confirm this, as I have used my iPhone SIM on four different phones.

The locking comes in that the iPhone itself will *ONLY* work with the SIM it is registered with. It won't work with any other AT&T SIM, including another iPhone's SIM. (And it definitely won't work on another GSM provider.) (Caveat: People have figured out ways around this, I'm talking only about an unhacked iPhone.)

5. sirnick4 macrumors newbie

Yep, you got screwed over.

I also have switched out my "iPhone SIM" with other phones and, it works perfectly.

6. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dropping $150 on a pre-paid plan at once seems kind of insane in general... :( Yeah, I's sowwies. You should call them and see if there's anything they can do for you, although there may not be.