Did Beta 5 Just Expire?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, May 22, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My iPod touch has the pink iTunes screen today. I KNOW I put beta 5 on it. Did Beta 5 expire today or is it just me? I can't find out what OS is running on it because the pink screen gives me no information at all and when I plug it into iTunes, I get a weird error that it can't connect.

2. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A300g Safari/525.20)

My Dad's iPhone 2G just did today. My mother came up to me with the purple iTunes screen, and iTunes said the beta expired.
    I still actually have beta 5 on my 3G. I will be updating right after my Dad's is finished. Hopefully my beta doesn't expire while I'm out tonight because i need my phone.

3. Requiemm macrumors regular

Beta 4, (not 5), expired at exactly 7:00 am EST this morning. At 6:54 the alarm went off on the phone and when I hit snooze everything looked normal. At 7:03 the alarm went off again and it had a pink screen.

Good news - Alarm still works when you have the PSOD
    Bad news - No way to turn alarm off when you have the PSOD, you can only keep snoozing.

I spent a frantic 35 minutes this morning downloading the beta 5, updating and activating the phone before grabbing external music drive, and laptop and racing off to work. Spent part of my lunch syncing all my apps and media back.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wow. I could have SWORN I installed beta 5 on my iPod touch. I usually install the newest beta on my iPod to make sure it works before I try it on my iPhones. I guess I must not have done that.

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

my friend was late to work this morning because the alarm didn't go off... which is what he gets for not being a dev and having 3.0

6. jalman11 macrumors member

is anyone having trouble updating to beta 5

If you were on beta 4 this morning, and got the pink screen... is anyone having trouble upgrading to beta 5?? mine seems to be stuck in recovery mode and giving me an error that this iphone could not be restored...

any thoughts?

7. Requiemm macrumors regular

8. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

1.Enter into DFU mode and do a stock-restore.

2.Wait for the error 1013 or something I don't remember but like when that comes up it already means that the firmware has been loaded but you just can't boot into it, no problemo :)

3. Get a PC and install quickpwn, then at the begining when the special boot thingy pops up, do what it says (it can only be done in quickpwn) and its like you hold buttons for 2 seconds then 15 seconds (make sure your idevice is connected) and then it will boot into the firmware :) then quit quickpwn and dc your device and then bleh do whatever you want.

9. Xtgirl macrumors regular

I have beta 4 and its still working.....is it cause I downloaded it on a different day than its release date?????

So it just becomes unuseable all of a sudden?

I just have heard bad things about beta 5 and don't really want to upgrade....might just go back to 2.2.1.

10. alansaysstop macrumors regular

negative. the firmware has an expiration date on it no matter when you download it. yes youll get a pink connect to itunes screen on your ipod/iphone.

you might as well just keep putting betas on your phone. the full software should be out soon enough and I heard the baseband updates don't work with 2.2.1

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The baseband only updates on the iPhone 3G. Also, it *is* possible to get back to 2.2.1 and it's not too hard. I upgraded to 3.0 on my iPhone 3G and I downgraded back to 2.2.1 using Windows. Also, my iPhone 3G seems to work fine with 2.2.1 and the newer baseband.

12. swinneyn macrumors member

swinneyn

A Little Heads Up!

You don't need to Restore your iPhone/iPod Touch if you get the PSOD when your Beta expires. Simply Option clicking Check for Update works fine and saves the long process of syncing back all of your content. I've been doing this on 2 iPhone 3Gs and it works fine, takes no more than six minutes.