Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Earlier today, I was trying to use my in-dash GPS to get to a wedding that was on the other side of town, it wasn't able to get a signal. I thought something was wrong with the GPS, until I decided to use the Nav application on my BlackBerry.

The BlackBerry wasn't able to connect to any satellites either. It wouldn't grab a signal. Same goes for the Google Maps where it places a blue dot.

Thats not where it stops...When I got back from the wedding, I hopped on a bus to go to the store to go meet some friends, the automated stop announcements were not functioning on the bus...This particular function relies on GPS to announce the stops. The "Stop Requested" and public service automated bus announcements still played fine, so the announcement system wasn't broken.

But on the bus ride home, the announcements were functioning again, the BlackBerry maps work, and the in-dash GPS works without a hitch.

Was there something wrong with GPS earlier today? Anyone else notice this?

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I didn't seem to have any problem with GPS this afternoon (1-3pm) - I was using it for about two hours between Seattle down to Los Angeles.

epyfa

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
http://127.0.0.1
Yeah GPS down would be a pretty big thing. I mean all these planes and stuff that rely on GPS; I think someone would have noticed and you'd have seen it on the news and everywhere.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
If GPS goes down that probably means a lot of satellites 'in-the-sky' went down as well! Something I'm sure the media would've covered.

Must be some kind of a Jammer! These things jam a specific wavelength!

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Yeah GPS down would be a pretty big thing. I mean all these planes and stuff that rely on GPS

You're right that it'd be a big thing, although fortunately commercial aviation doesn't rely on GPS to get the job done. We just switch (actually, our FMSs switch) to another form of navigation and keep going. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.