did HDV tape break my camcorder?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. My camcorder can't read minidv tapes after trying an HDV tape (without realizing it was HDV).

I have a Sony MiniDV DCR-HC26 camcorder I use to transfer client's minidv tapes. To date, it's worked perfect for me.

I receiving the latest round of tapes from a client, popped in a couple to rewind and mark the end/start dates so I could organize chronologically before transferring. When I started playing a few tapes, my camcorder said something like "HDV tape....cannot read". Makes sense b/c my camcorder isn't HDV.

A few years ago, I recommended a few different minidv camcorders to my client and I thought they were going to get one specific model so evidently, they must have bought the HDV. They're not very technical so I'm not surprised they didn't tell me about the HDV settings and I hadn't even thought of it b/c I "assumed" they bought 1 of the models I suggested.

So, did playing the HDV tape screw up my camcorder b/c it can not read any tapes. I tried some of my backup minidvs and nada...zippo. i can rwd/fwd, but no playback of any tape.

Any ideas? I tried resetting the camera. I checked all settings. I cleaned the heads.

I guess the next question is what to buy next? This is the first time I've come across HDV tapes and I'm assuming there wasn't alot of these camcorders sold b/c the HDD and mem stick camcorders bursted on scene so the HDV weren't around for a long time.

Cheers and thanks in advance,
    Keebler

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no such thing as an HDV tape. HDV records on standard mini DV tapes. I have seen some mini DV tapes advertised as HDV, but that just means that they can be used in an HDV camcorder or tape deck. However, this is true any mini DV tape cassette.

As for your problem, you may have used a bad cassette or your problem may be "one of those things." If you suspect bad tape, then you should give the brand and model of the tape that you believe caused the problem.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, HDV tapes are just a marketing term, it's all the same miniDV format.

You might have to run a head cleaning tape for a few seconds, maybe something got gunked up.

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks guys. I did try a number of tapes after cleaning the heads - 3 times (not all in succession of course).

still no go. :(

I did order another minidv camcorder as I need them for transferring. I'll have this one looked at and will confirm any issues (if the repair folks know).

Cheers,
    Keebler

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, putting a MiniDV tape recorded w/HDV footage as opposed to DV footage won't hurt the deck/camera at all. Heck, that's how we used to occasionally figure out if something was shot on HDV or DV, we'd just pop it into a DV deck and see if it played back or not.

Lethal

6. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks Lethal. Something sure happened though - whether it's the camcorder of me (but i doubt me b/c I did nothing but changes tapes :(

I tried a few regular minidvs b/c I was marking times at the end, then rewinding and writing down the first time to help organize the tapes chrono. That's when I discovered the HDV tapes by the message I received "can not read HDV tape". Tried 2 more tapes, both being HDV and then the camcorder wouldn't read the tape.

I just popped another tape in and now it's playing but with alternating grey / footage bars.

Maybe my camcorder got drunk with the HDV tapes and now it's just in hangover stage.

I'll clean it one more time then let it rest again.

technology....

:)