Did I accidentally create a partition on Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jason.siegel, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

I think I might have accidentally created a partition in Time Capsule called Time Machine. I'm starting backups fresh, but this is a bit annoying because now I have a drive called "Time Machine" on my desktop, and then when Time Machine is backing up, I have another drive called Time Machine Backups. I'm attaching an image of my setup.

Is there some way I can get rid of "Time Machine"? It seems redundant.

Attached Files:

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

You didn't create a partition. That's how the Time Capsule works. It mounts the image on your desktop as it is backing up and unmounts it when it is finished.

Edit: What I've done is, while Time Machine is performing the backup, rearrange the icons so that the Time Machine image is somewhere out of the way (mine is in the bottom right of my screen). This way every time it backs up, it should mount it in the same spot.

3. jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502

Before I messed with my setting today, I didn't have two separate icons on my desktop. Is there at least a way to prevent Time Machine and Time Machine Backups from showing on my desktop?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Do you recall which settings you changed? Was it specific to Time Machine or was it a system wide setting?

In Finder settings under General, you can disable "Connected servers" that should prevent the Time Capsule drive from showing on your desktop.

5. jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502

I changed the name in Airport Utility in a couple places.
    Thanks!