Did I accidentally get an unlocked version??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gooberton, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Gooberton macrumors 65816

i ordered the jet black 7 PLUS 256 gb from Best Buy. Preordered on 9/9. But just got the phone today. I'm on ATT, but to my surprise there was a sim removal tool in the box, I checked and the model number is a1661, did I get the unlocked or maybe just the verzion one??

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. BlkHammer macrumors regular

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

An unlocked phone is unlocked, but from what I understand, using a Verizon sim during activation will cause the phone to use the Verizon unlock policy.

Just the first time.

5. BlkHammer macrumors regular

Wow thanks for the super quick reply, one last question.

I would have to use my friends Verizon SIM card. When using his, Verizon won't record my Imei or anything and attach it to his account will they? I just don't want anything to happen as far as my phone getting blacklisted using someone else's sim to activate it to make sure it's unlocked. I plan on using it on ATT.

6. FoxMike macrumors member

No they won't. Just activate the iPhone via wifi. Because CDMA requires a live controller to allow the phone to affiliate the sim won't cause your phone to affililiate on the network.

7. rsbacon macrumors member

rsbacon

I would use an INACTIVE SIM card and activate over wifi if I were you. Did you buy it full price or on payments?

8. FoxMike macrumors member

An inactive sim or active sim won't matter. To fully activate a phone on Verizon because of CDMA you have to call them and a controller has to truly activate it. GSM networks are different as your data is store on the SIM card. All the op has to do is put in a verizon SIM activate over wifi. Verify it can "listen" to the verizon network. Then pull out the SIM and insert his ATT one.

9. BlkHammer macrumors regular

I paid full price, but I believe his is on Verizons payment plan system. I was trying to activate with just wifi but it said a Sim card was needed. I will just Verify if can "listen" to the verizon network and thats it. once activated I will stick my ATT sim card.

Now my last question is: Will I need the verizon sim card everytime I restore my device? I dont plan on doing it often but if problem arises that is what I do.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

11. FoxMike macrumors member

Just the initial first time. It will flash the baseband.

12. Gooberton thread starter macrumors 65816

Well this sucks. I already did it, but I just put att sim in and it worked, does that mean it's "activated"

13. nanocustoms macrumors regular

your phone is now locked to ATT and will require you to contact them to unlock.

14. BlkHammer macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies. Im glad I didnt activate with my att sim card... Gotta wait until I can get ahold of my friends sim card tomorrow.

15. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864