Did I accidentally get an unlocked version??

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
i ordered the jet black 7 PLUS 256 gb from Best Buy. Preordered on 9/9. But just got the phone today. I'm on ATT, but to my surprise there was a sim removal tool in the box, I checked and the model number is a1661, did I get the unlocked or maybe just the verzion one??

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
So if I have a unlocked phone from Walmart, before I activate it I will need to put a Verizon sim in and activate it?
An unlocked phone is unlocked, but from what I understand, using a Verizon sim during activation will cause the phone to use the Verizon unlock policy.

Will I need to do this after every restore or just when first activating the phone?
Just the first time.

est1738

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
An unlocked phone is unlocked, but from what I understand, using a Verizon sim during activation will cause the phone to use the Verizon unlock policy.

Just the first time.
Wow thanks for the super quick reply, one last question.

I would have to use my friends Verizon SIM card. When using his, Verizon won't record my Imei or anything and attach it to his account will they? I just don't want anything to happen as far as my phone getting blacklisted using someone else's sim to activate it to make sure it's unlocked. I plan on using it on ATT.

FoxMike

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
No they won't. Just activate the iPhone via wifi. Because CDMA requires a live controller to allow the phone to affiliate the sim won't cause your phone to affililiate on the network.

rsbacon

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
I would use an INACTIVE SIM card and activate over wifi if I were you. Did you buy it full price or on payments?

FoxMike

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
An inactive sim or active sim won't matter. To fully activate a phone on Verizon because of CDMA you have to call them and a controller has to truly activate it. GSM networks are different as your data is store on the SIM card. All the op has to do is put in a verizon SIM activate over wifi. Verify it can "listen" to the verizon network. Then pull out the SIM and insert his ATT one.

est1738

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I paid full price, but I believe his is on Verizons payment plan system. I was trying to activate with just wifi but it said a Sim card was needed. I will just Verify if can "listen" to the verizon network and thats it. once activated I will stick my ATT sim card.

Now my last question is: Will I need the verizon sim card everytime I restore my device? I dont plan on doing it often but if problem arises that is what I do.

FoxMike

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
I paid full price, but I believe his is on Verizons payment plan system. I was trying to activate with just wifi but it said a Sim card was needed. I will just Verify if can "listen" to the verizon network and thats it. once activated I will stick my ATT sim card.

Now my last question is: Will I need the verizon sim card everytime I restore my device? I dont plan on doing it often but if problem arises that is what I do.
Just the initial first time. It will flash the baseband.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Well this sucks. I already did it, but I just put att sim in and it worked, does that mean it's "activated"

est1738

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Thanks for all the replies. Im glad I didnt activate with my att sim card... Gotta wait until I can get ahold of my friends sim card tomorrow.