Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebuc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
Nor'East
My original SATA hard drive had a "file system check exit code is 8" error, would not boot up in safe or not safe mode, and Disk Utility was unable to fix the issue. I decided to replace it with an SSD. While following OWC video instructions, I realized that my hard drive was installed in the upper chamber (unlike most Mac Minis). So I had to take additional steps, and switched to an iFixit guide.

While attempting to disconnect a cable, I think I just removed the entire cable from where it was soldered on to the logic board. See the below photos. The cable is circled in red, and I used the spudger to pull up along the straight line in one of the photos. It doesn't seem like the cable "re-connects" -- so i think I just basically tore it out, even though I certainly did not apply much force. The iFixit guide I had switched to after encountering the upper-chamber issue said "This connector can be very fragile—lift gently and evenly."

Is my issue hopeless? Should I just buy another one for a couple hundred bucks and give it another go?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• Mac Mini 1 of 4.jpg
    Mac Mini 1 of 4.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Mac Mini 2 of 4.jpg
    Mac Mini 2 of 4.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Mac Mini 3 or 4.jpg
    Mac Mini 3 or 4.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 153
  • Mac Mini 4 of 4.JPG
    Mac Mini 4 of 4.JPG
    385.3 KB · Views: 139

weapons777

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2015
Exactly the same happened to me a few years back when upgrading to an SSD my Mini 2011.
Took it to a cheap mobile repair shop and they soldered back in place. Worked perfect after that.

ebuc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
Nor'East
That's a great idea. Thanks.

In case I break anything else, I guess I will see if I can get the logic board out of the way and the new hard drive installed.

I can't understand why Apple would assemble some of these Mac Minis with the hard drive in a different spot.

Exactly the same happened to me a few years back when upgrading to an SSD my Mini 2011.
Took it to a cheap mobile repair shop and they soldered back in place. Worked perfect after that.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One more example of why -- for years now -- I've advocated just adding an external USB3 SSD rather than trying to open it up (with the risks that entail doing so).

It might be easier to just replace the entire logic board, if they can be found cheaply.

Or... better yet... consider a 2018/2020 Mini.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Too late now but the easiest way to disconnect the SATA cable connector is to gently push down on the HDD closest to the motherboard. When you do that it automatically disconnects the SATA cable from the Mobo. No need to use a spudger tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.