Did I Brick My 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by epicdavidtv, Dec 23, 2010.

1. epicdavidtv macrumors newbie

Hello. I am an owner of an iPhone 3GS on the new bootrom, and recently tried to jailbreak it and unlock it. Unfortunately, I upgraded to the iPad baseband which isn't compatible with the newer models.
    I downgraded to a tethered break with no unlock, but I attempted to restart the phone to sell. I tried to restore it that night, but the iPad baseband won't allow me. Now I can only get the "Connect to iTunes" logo.
    I've tried everything from deleting all IPSW files, to trying to rejailbreak, but nothing works. I need to get the phone to my friend as soon as possible, so I appreciate anything that might work. Thank you in advance.

2. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

3. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

I think you're partially mistaken about all this. There is nothing incompatible about the iPad baseband and new bootrom 3GS phones. The only real limitation with the new bootrom is the inability to load custom boot logos and all that. Otherwise, it works perfectly. So, you might have compounded the problem by doing all the other stuff.

Are you using redsn0w or PwnageTool?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need to restore to custom 4.2.1 created with pwnage.

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

^^What AppleJuiced said. The reason you're getting the infinite loop is that you are trying restore a device with the stock 4.2.1 firmware, when in fact, you have the 4.2.1 firmware WITH the iPad baseband. It's very easy to create a custom IPSW in Pwnage Tool.

6. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

Yeah well not all of us are on Macs. So, we're stuck with redsn0w

7. epicdavidtv thread starter macrumors newbie

When I try to restore, I always get this message:
    "The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be restored at this time because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable."
    I'm using redsn0w. I'm running on Win7, so pwnage is not applicable in this situation.

8. epicdavidtv thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I don't need it to be jailbroken anymore. I just need it to work properly, so I can sell it. They can screw it up if they'd like. The following is the prompt I get after extracting software in iTunes.

Attached Files:

9. mikelegacy, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You don't HAVE to use Pwnage tool. In order to create your own you do, but you can search the internet for Custom IPSWs with the iPad baseband. There are tons of them, as a TON of people have updated their baseband to unlock.

Is your phone running TMobile? If not, why did you update the baseband in the first place. It just causes these issues constantly.

EDIT: This link might have the software download. When you download this firmware, you'll need to hold the Shift key when you click RESTORE so you can choose whatever IPSW file you want. Then choose the custom one you downloaded and it should update just fine. It may give you an error and throw you into recovery mode, but you can use Tiny Umbrella to kick yourself out. It shouldnt do that though, as Apple is still signing 4.2.1 obviously. The link below is for 4.2.1, if you are on something different, you'll have to find it yourself. A quick google search should suffice. I'd make a custom one for you, but I'm not home at the moment.

LINK: http://www.myappleware.com/iphone-jailbreak/s-3gs-4-2-1-with-6-15-bb-custom-ipsw.html

10. epicdavidtv thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it fine if I use a firmware for the old bootrom? All the files say they are ONLY compatible with the old. Like I said, I don't want it to be JBen. Will I be able to restore normally afterwards?

11. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

If you have updated to the new baseband, then you will ALWAYS need to use a custom firmware to restore, but once you find one, you can use that one over and over. As for updating when Apple comes out with new firmware, I'm not sure whether or not you'll have a problem. If you give me a couple hours, I can make you a custom IPSW, that is if you don't find one compatible with the NEW bootrom before that time :) I'm at work, or I'd do it now.

12. epicdavidtv thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't boot or anything at the moment. I need to sell the phone, and I don't want to sell it if it's just going to crash like it already has. I have until January 4th to fix it, as that is when I go back to school.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont get it do you?
    You will not be able to restore to official firmware for a long time untill apple goes beyond baseband version 06.15 on the 3GS models.
    There is no firmware for the old bootrom or new bootrom. Its just iphone 3GS firmware and custom firmware. Your phone now that has the ipad BB can ONLY use custom firmware.
    You can ONLY restore to custom firmware created with pwnage. If you dont have a mac to use to create one you can try to find one online and download it.
    Mike helped you with a link above.
    After you download the ipsw above you have to use redsnow to put your phone into pwned DFU mode and restore using that custom firmware thru itunes.

14. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

He was confused as to whether he could use it since he has the new bootrom. I wasn't sure if that was a factor, so I didn't say yes or no :)

15. epicdavidtv thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I understand that I can't restore officially until the next update. Will I be able to put the custom firmware on a flashdrive or something? In case the future owner needs to restore.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might be alot longer than the next update, noone knows exactly when.
    Yes, you can even record the ipsw on a CD or dvd. Its only 400mb.
    He will also need redsnow if he ever needs to restore to put the phone on pwnded DFU and also the official 4.2.1 to point redsnow to before it gives you the additional options etc....
    But from the looks of it you have alot more research and learning to do before you attempt anything further.
    Same for the potential buyer.

17. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Good info, but yes, a flash drive would work. Download all of the things that AppleJuiced just said, and put them all on the flash drive for the future owner, along with a set of instruction on what to do in case of emergency.

18. epicdavidtv thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright. Will I have to boot tethered? If so, can I reboot without redsn0w? If not, this is all too much trouble.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it has the new bootloader you can only boot using redsnow.

20. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Have you found firmware? I can create a custom IPSW for you now if you like? Let me know if you need it.

21. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

22. epicdavidtv thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I Tried to download the firmware you linked me earlier but it stopped at sone point each time. My computer isn't in the mood to download for long periods of time right now.

23. epicdavidtv thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone who helped out here. I had to kick it out of restore via TinyUmbrella, then restored it normally (no custom ipsw) in iTunes.