Did I brick my 4S by trying to unlock it.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by daviddcmd, Aug 2, 2012.

1. daviddcmd macrumors member

I bought an unlocked Rogers I4S that I had to restore. When I put my AT&T sim card in the Gevey Ultra S sim tray I keep getting invalid sim. I don't have the Rogers sim only the Gevey and AT&T.

Any help you can offer up?

Also can I take it to Apple and have them unlock it as AT&T can't do it.

TIA

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

wait when you say Unlocked are you talking factory unlocked or what more detail if you want help.. firmware, baseband etc.. it not bricked you can't do that.

3. daviddcmd thread starter macrumors member

I just want to be able to use it with my AT&T sim. 2.0.12. 5.1.1

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Just say Abracadabra then! Boom your unlocked! :D

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You said that you bought it unlocked. Did it come with the Gevey tray or was it unlocked by Rogers?

6. daviddcmd thread starter macrumors member

Came with the Gevey tray.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

They Gevey sim interposer is more than just the tray, it requires a sim interposer with contacts on both sides of the special sim.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

According to Apple's site, Rogers offers official unlocks. I don't know what's required to do this, but try contacting Rogers. An official unlock will be much more reliable than Gevey and will survive through restores and updates.

9. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

You failed to answer an important question that labman asked. You say unlocked. What does this mean specifically?

On craigslist, everyone posts that their iPhone is unlocked...there is a difference between being actually unlocked and using a Gevey SIM to bypass the carrier lock (I do not consider Gevey to be "unlocked").

If it is factory unlocked, a restore should solve the problem.

If it is "unlocked" using Gevey, put your ATT SIM in a different phone. Make sure your SIM card is still good.
    There is also a chance you are either putting the Gevey SIM upside down or something on the SIM tray. There is also a chance that the Gevey you have is a fake or is broken in which case you'll need to get a new one.

Either way, it most likely is not a software based issue, nor is it an iPhone-hardware based issue. It is probably either the Gevey SIM or your ATT SIM, most likely the Gevey.