Did I brick my Iphone 3g by resetting?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by east85, Jun 24, 2010.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I recently acquired an IPhone 3g with 2.2.1. I ended up jailbreaking with QuickPwn and attempted to install yellowsn0w to allow use with T-Mobile. Well, it turns out the yellowsn0w website is gone. What is with that? I thought the next best option would to just be to reset all settings, well, I accidentally selected reset all settings and data. I was hoping to upgrade to a 3.x version in order to use an updated unlocking method.

So, as a result, my Iphone 3g is no longer registering that it is tethered to the computer in any way. It is just booting up the apple logo and restarting every couple minutes. Please tell me I didn't just brick my IPhone.

Please help me. I am usually more cautious about these things and have managed to grasp ahold of linux programs like backtrack and use them effectively. I don't know what got into me, I guess I was just excited to have an Iphone 3g.

2. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Also, it is failing to go into recovery mode.

3. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

4. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Is there any way that I could restore without updating through Itunes? I really was trying to avoid the 4.0 software as I heard the jailbreak was in its infancy and I'm still not sure if unlocking is possible on 4.0.

PS: It just took a couple tries to get it into DFU mode.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thank you for the link. I was wondering, is it also possible to continue to unlock the phone under 4.0 for T-mobile? If it is, I may as well just update.

Edit- The reason why I ask is because I heard that there was something different about the frequency that 4.0 operates. I am probably, mistaken though. I just wanted to be sure.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks for the tutorial, I'll be sure to follow it word for word.

I just read through the redsn0w website and found this line:
    "ADVICE: DO NOT USE REDSN0W AFTER DOING A STOCK APPLE UPGRADE TO 3.1.2 IF YOU NEED A CARRIER UNLOCK AND ARE CURRENTLY USING BASEBAND 04.26 OR EARLIER. The key part of that advice is “do not do a stock Apple upgrade to 3.1.2”. You really want to keep that 04.26 baseband on there because then you can keep using ultrasn0w. Ultrasn0w doesn't have the wifi issues that some people (10-20%) report when using geohot's blacksn0w unlock on 05.11. If you are at 04.26 or earlier, use a custom IPSW from PwnageTool to update your firmware to 3.1.2, or just stay at 3.0 and use redsn0w there (redsn0w and ultrasn0w work on both 3.0 and 3.1.2, but ultrasn0w needs baseband 04.26). "

This is a concern, because I do need a carrier unlock. I am not sure what my baseband is and how to check it as my phone is currently locked up since it's no longer jailbroken. Is there a way to go about checking this by other means or should I disregard this message concerning my baseband?

Thanks for all your help man, I definitely appreciate and accept any and all help I can get.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will be fine with updating to official 4.0 and then using ultrasnow to unlock.
    That post is outdated and was true weeks ago.
    Now The Dev Team has released a new unlock thats solid and bug free.

10. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

11. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Is there any way I can restore or install the new 4.0 without setting the phone into DFU mode and using Itunes? I've been trying to put it into DFU mode for an entire hour now, I'm not even kidding.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont need to put it in DFU.
    Just plug it to itunes and hit restore, thats all.

13. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Well, I have a sim card from t-mobile in so it either tells me that I need the right sim to restore, or that I need a sim, period. No options are presented to me unless I get it into DFU mode it seems.

14. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, sometimes its really tricky.
    Gotta time it perfect.

16. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604).

Ah back to trying for DFU mode. I tried twice and got the same error.

17. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Do I have to take it out of recovery mode to enter DFU?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try this trick also:
    Basically itunes hangs then gives the 1604 error. at this point open task manager and close the itunes proces, then open itunes again and it should detect the iphone. click restore again and this time it should finish the restore...voila.
    Nope, you can enter DFU at any time.

19. Gxray macrumors member

Just do a regular update to 4.0 then once its updated, run redsn0w and it will jailbreak/hacktivate your phone, from there you can go into cydia and download ultrasn0w and unlock your phone.

20. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Well, I really can't tell the difference between recovery and DFU mode on the screen, and both read that they need recovered on Itunes. I suppose I'll just keep on trying. I tried to end the process, and it still gave me the error. Another time I ended the process and the helper, and I still got the error. Which is partially why I'm beginning to believe that my file 4.0 was corrupted while transferring in download. I will try to re-download it again and attempt to try it again.

Thanks guys for all the help and such.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good luck dude.
    It might have been a corrupt file, bad usb port or wire and many other things.
    Also you could try on another computer etc...

22. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks man. I was just wondering, if I did get 3.x would the process of jailbreaking pretty much be identical? I may try a 3.x file. It's weird because it restores fine with whatever it restores by default with, so I'll rule out the port or cable for now. The actual Itunes can be upgraded to a newer version (facepalm*), so I may do that next as the file was not corrupt.

23. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Update: I updated Itunes to its current incarnation and the phone has been successfully brought to 4.0. :)