Did I brick my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matt2053, Oct 26, 2014.

1. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

May have somehow bricked my first smartphone... yay!

I got a new 6 Plus. When I got it, I took the SIM out of my 5s and put it in my 6 Plus. My 5s then sat there unused for about 3 days. Today I went to mail in my 5s for a trade in, but I couldn't get it to turn on.

I charged the phone for a couple of hours but it still would not turn on. It would not even show the battery charging screen. Tried different cables, different outlets, different computers. Nothing worked.

Finally I put it in DFU mode by holding the home button and plugging it in to iTunes. iTunes detects an iPhone in DFU mode, but when it starts the restore it just says "Waiting for iPhone" and then fails with error 4005.

I tried other cables etc but nothing works. I followed all the steps in this support document: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5314.

The phone just over a year old, so am I screwed? I plan to take it to the Apple Store on Tuesday... are they going to be able to help me? Is it at least repairable? Or is this phone just a loss? I have no reason to pay for a replacement since I just bought a 6 Plus, but I was counting on that trade in money.

Why would it just suddenly stop working!? Argh!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you cannot restore it in DFU mode and have tried on multiple computers, it either has a hardware problem or cannot be restored due to user error.

3. CanadaEh macrumors regular

4. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

A phone would not brick in that matter for simply removing the sim card.

Did you try to google the error? Apple will help you don't worry.

5. matt2053 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I think it had more to do with the battery going completely dead and sitting for 3 days, not the SIM card at all.

6. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

If you're entering DFU it might not be the battery. Even though a faulty battery might be capable of throwing you into a reboot loop

I've had previous iPhones sit for 1 year + without use. I kept them as a back up phone, and never had a problem.

Try to leave the power cord plugged in for about 1 hour and see what happens

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

A dead battery for 3 days won't cause any noticeable issues. I'd try restoring it again on a different computer, and if that doesn't work take it in to Apple.

8. matt2053 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I'll be taking it to Apple. I was hoping for a DIY solution, because literally nothing happened to the phone, it literally just sat on my desk for three days and is now a brick. Unbelievable.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Did you have any trouble removing your SIM card?

Apple store is your only hope.

10. prettybones24 macrumors newbie

Your phone needs a sim card to activate. All you have to do is put your sim card back into the iPhone 5s to activate it. Once the phone screen comes back on the 5s you are free to put back your sim card into your iPhone 6plus. It only takes a couple of seconds.

11. matt2053 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It won't turn on, that's the whole problem.

12. stasha macrumors 6502