Did I buy a Demo iPhone as New?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iboost79, Jul 2, 2009.

1. iboost79 macrumors member

Ok. I'm no iPhone noob, but when I bought the 3GS last night, I noticed that I couldn't find the passcode lock in the settings. Did Apple remove this feature because I kinda liked having my iPhone locked with a 4-digit passcode. Then, I couldn't re-arrange my downloaded apps. I mean, all the apps were locked to each page. Was this crippled in the 3.0 software, too? Finally, A screensaver pops up after a 1 minute of standby. The same screensaver from the Apple Store demoes. I wasn't sure if I was going crazy. But, can someone shed some light on me?

I searched the threads about this and couldn't find anyone with the same issues.

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

Certainly sounds suspicious

A new phone should have no passcode, prompt you on how to move icons when you 1st turn on and have no screensaver whatsoever

3. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Looks like some employees from that store have been stealing iPhones!

4. themat macrumors member

5. svndmvn Guest

did it have a protective shield on? Was the box shrinkwrapped? I kind of doubt someone did it on purpose, maybe it was simply one of those meant for Demoing but it got mixed to the rest?

6. iboost79 thread starter macrumors member

It had the same plastic wrap around the iPhone and the box was definitely sealed. Coming from an Apple, I know definitely, that Apple recycles their returned iPhones and sell them as new. So, this doesn't shock me that they could of sold me a demo iphone.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You might have gotten a new demo phone actually--straight from the factory. Perhaps something it got mixed up. It would be quite a feat to refurbish a used demo phone and shrink wrap it so soon after the release. You might just have a collectors item on your hands! :)

8. Acronym macrumors 68000

ah but a collectors item he cant fully use :p

i would take it back

9. Appdict macrumors regular

I went to the Apple Store just a few days ago. People always moved icons everywhere on the 3G's, now with the new 3GS' they turned off all customization features (icon arrangement and passcode locks). It did bother me that people moved icons around on a phone that they most likely wouldn't see again.

It is entirely possible that they were out of stock and had no choice but to give you a demo, since you paid for it already (if that was the case.) Wait until 3.1, and install that firmware as new. It should cancel Apples restrictions.

10. Acronym macrumors 68000

if he wants to keep it all he has to do is search on google or pm me and then he can reformat his iphone to stock 3.0 software.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's actually illegal and companies in the past have been sued because of this. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that apple does do this especially given the prospect of lawsuits and such.

12. Appdict macrumors regular

That works just as well. I think waiting a few more days wouldn't hurt anybody though.

13. Mike3300 macrumors newbie

Apple would not and will not sell returned faulty or spoiled iPhone as new, those units will be refurbished units.

14. beefillups macrumors newbie

15. iboost79 thread starter macrumors member

It syncs, but that does me no good. Half of the OS is crippled.

16. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

How do you know this?

17. iboost79 thread starter macrumors member

Not necessarily. The iPhone 3G is different. No serial numbers on the actual products makes selling used/returned/etc merchandise easier without being sued.

Apple send all returned iPhones back to the "depot." Once at the depot, Apple sorts which ones will be used for warranty replacements and which ones will be sent to China to be recycled. This process couldn't be done with the original iphone.

Also, why else does Apple advertise the products being more green. It's because they have to buy less parts and recycle the ones that meet or exceed their criteria.

18. iboost79 thread starter macrumors member

Can you just PM me on how to return to stock software? I'd rather do that instead of going through the return process.

19. The General macrumors 601

1. Plug in the iPhone.
    2. Hit "restore" in iTunes.
    3. Done.

20. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I'd imagine that Apple will have a similiar program as Sony does with the PS3 units. If you have a problem with yours and they have to replace your PS3, they replace it with a refurbished unit. These refurbished units are infact brand new from the inside, its just they re-use the cases.

Perhaps Apple does the same with the iPhones now?

21. admanimal macrumors 68040

I know definitely that there is no way that you definitely know this.

22. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Apple's refurbished products, have a new battery and outer shell. The internals are used.

23. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

you know definantly?
    they replace phones with refurbished ones, but they don't sell them as new. If they sold refurbs as new, why would they also sell refurbs? They process them and sell some as REFURBS (not new) and use some for replacement.

Don't they do something to the flash memory as well (either replace it or clear it in some way)

24. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

What's funny is when I had to have my 3G replaced, I am pretty sure they replaced it with a refurb but the thing was that the refurb had much better quality control. It was more solid with less inperfections that my original one. Refurbs arent all that bad.

As for your issue, I would just take it back. That eliminates any issues down the road. If you wait to long, they might question why you delayed returning the phone and might actually accuse you of causing those problems.