Did I buy a good Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macosx22, Sep 2, 2011.

1. macosx22 macrumors newbie

I just got finished buying my new 11' macbook air 1.6 4gb 128gb today. I want an imac for the longest time. I have been look on ebay for weeks, I didn't want or even have money to buy both brand new. Anyway I got this Imac tonight, the guy I bought it from said it was slight used and is in near mint condition. Please look at the specs below and tell me if this model is good.

Thanks

Detailed item info
    Product Information
    Enter a whole new world of multi-media computing with the iMac MB200LL/A-OB. This Apple iMac is powered by a Core 2 Duo processor and has a 320GB hard drive that gives you ample space and speed for running all your applications. With a 20-inch screen, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics accelerator this Apple desktop is ideal for viewing movies and playing games. This Apple iMac has various ports such as USB, LAN, video, etc for expansion and a variety of connectivity options like Bluetooth, Ethernet, IEEE, and AirPort Extreme. This Apple desktop has a built-in webcam that lets you communicate with your friends and family anywhere in the world. Sleek, slim, and compact, the iMac MB200LL/A-OB is sure to complement your interiors perfectly.

Product Identifiers
    Brand Apple
    Product Family iMac
    MPN MB200LL/A

Processor
    Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed 2.4 GHz

Motherboard
    Motherboard I/O Ports FireWire (IEEE1394a) x 1, FireWire (IEEE1394b) x 1, RJ45 Lan Port x 1, USB 2.0 x 3, USB 2.0 x 5
    Bus Speed 800 MHz

Display
    Screen Type Flat Panel LCD
    Screen Size 20"

Hard Drive
    Hard Drive Capacity 320 GB
    Hard Drive Rotation Speed 7200 RPM
    Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA

Memory
    RAM Technology DDR2 SDRAM
    Installed RAM 1 GB
    RAM Supported Speed 667 MHz
    RAM Max Supported Size 4 GB
    RAM Memory Slots Qunatity 2 x SODIMM
    Installed Cache Memory 4 MB

CD / DVD
    Optical Drive Type DVD±RW Dual Layer/CD-RW
    Optical Drive Read Speed 24x (CD), 8x (DVD)
    Optical Drive Write Speed 24x (CD), 4x (DVD+R DL), 4x (DVD-R DL), 8x (DVD+R), 8x (DVD-R)
    Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 16x (CD-RW), 6x (DVD-RW), 8x (DVD+RW)

Video
    On Board Graphic Processor ATI RADEON HD 2600 PRO
    Max. Video Resolution 2560 x 1600
    Installed Video Memory 256 MB
    Video Outputs 15 Pin D-Sub VGA port x 1, Composite x 1, DVI x 1, Mini-DVI, Mini-VGA, S-Video x 1

Audio
    Audio Input Integrated Microphone, Line In (3.5mm), Microphone, Optical Digital In
    Audio Output Headphones, Sound card, Speaker(s)

Networking
    Data Link Protocol AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
    Networking Type Bluetooth, Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card, Integrated Wireless LAN

Dimensions
    Depth 6.8 in.
    Height 16.9 in.
    Width 16.8 in.
    Weight 20 lb.

Miscellaneous
    Form Factor All-in-one
    Exterior Color Silver
    Other Features Built In Web Camera, Infrared Remote Control
    OS Certified Apple MacOS X 10.5

it has lion freshly installed. Memory is maxed too at 4gb

2. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Well that depends on how much you payed for it.

3. macosx22 thread starter macrumors newbie

i paid $500

4. blunti macrumors 6502a

i guess for a core 2 duo its a bit steep but then again, it might be the market price...

5. tzd macrumors newbie

6. macosx22 thread starter macrumors newbie

this was by far the best price for this mac on ebay, I even talked the guy down, he wanted $600.

I mean I can still do good things with this mac right, I'm a into taking photos and I want a nice desktop to compliment this.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's a good first gen aluminum iMac, model iMac7,1. They are getting a bit old at four years, but they still have four more left in them.

8. macosx22 thread starter macrumors newbie

if I can get 4 years out of it I will be more then happy, real happy.

9. blunti macrumors 6502a

Yep, you can do all of that with this iMac! Even more...

10. macosx22 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

11. bluush macrumors 6502

$500 for that is a fantastic deal, imo. throw in 3 more gigs of ram and you'll be set for a while.

12. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah but, if you get something wrong with the iMac, you're going to have to pay a lot to get it fixed? Since I presume it didn't come with a warranty?

13. Primus84 macrumors 6502

I would definitely upgrade the RAM to 4Gb and it'll happily run Lion.

14. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I think 400$ would have been fair, 500$ no warranty and you need to upgrade the ram.

a 21.5" refurbished with better specs is $889. Used 21.5" and 24" go for $500 to 600$ in Canada on craigslist/kijiI

Plus you could sell the KB and Magic/mouse for $100 that come with the refurb

I would never Buy a mac off Ebay unless it was a steal of a deal.

15. macosx22 thread starter macrumors newbie

update the ram, its already at its max. Also I have been looking on ebay left and right and there is no better deal at all, this was a steal in my book. I saw this model several places and the price has been much more, crap the 17' models go for more then $500 for a good one.

16. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

In the specs it said 1gb installed, either way I don't think it's hot.

I picked up a used 2011 21.5" quad for $700, with the box, receipt and 9 months of warranty. I know on eBay it would have gone for more. Kijiji or refurbished are the only ways I'd buy a used one.

Unless your in the middle of nowhere, I'd try craigslist or kijiji.

17. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I think you did ok. I bought the same system used last year, took out the 320GB, threw in a 1TB drive tossed in a single 4GB module to upgrade it to 6GB and it's been fine for the past year. I gave it to a relative when I upgraded but it's still going strong (other than a dead superdrive). Works fine with most business apps and some older games. Even handles VMWare pretty good.

Cheers,

18. Rockin Rayzor macrumors newbie

If you think this is such a great deal then maybe you would like one of my Indigo blue iMac G3 for $250.00? Just kidding I wouldn't part with them. But like the others have said a refurbish one would cost a bit more but in the long run will give you less headaches. this machine at five years after end of manufacture will be considered Vintage which means good luck finding new parts to keep it running two years after that it's OBSOLETE my friend. even apple won't trouble shoot it.:eek: the only people paying the prices your talking about are pure suckers. and half the time these guys on eBay sell you a lemon that won't even start up. but you may get lucky and have a gem here. after all it is your money and ultimately your decision.