Did I buy the wrong Blu-Ray Drive and External Housing? Help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kabir8, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Kabir8, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

Kabir8 macrumors regular

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145064

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Pioneer/BDR205BKMP/

That's what I have.
    I am trying to install the drive, but I can't even access the cables inside the housing because they are too short.

Now I'm starting to think I may have even gotten the wrong combination.

The external drive comes with no info, the Blu-Ray reader seems to come with the same type of cables that the housing takes, but I can't figure out how to connect it because its almost impossible to access.

I am getting frustrated, I would love anyone who has more experience with this stuff, Thanks.

I use an iMac but I trust the info on this section.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Pics of what you've got might help, as we might see a way to re-route the cables to get sufficient lenght to reach, or set you on longer cables with the correct connectors (somtimes the power cable uses an old floppy end to the small PCB rather than say Molex, which is easier to find).

3. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

looks like you should have enough room, at least according to the website photos, you did take the enclosure apart right? your not trying to just slide the drive in?

4. Kabir8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying.

I got it though, I was confused with the wires and ended up sliding off the cover to the housing.

I'm just too scared I'm going to break things sometimes.

However, I took off the metal bracket clip INSIDE the housing.
    Should I open it and rescrew that in to protect the bottom or top of the drive within -- it doesn't feel TIGHT inside the enclosure.