Did I buy the wrong iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jigsawjammer, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

Hi all- I was around an apple store before it opened and saw the line was short so I waited. The guy said they had the white Verizon 32 gb only in stock so I grabbed it. I kind of like the white now over the black and was going to for for 32gb but I was still on the fence about 3G.

Here is my question- I plan on visiting Montreal in a week- am I right that I can't use my iPad?

Can I use it anywhere but the USA?

I really won't use 3G much if really ever- should I return it?

Thanks for the input.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Umm.

3. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

You can use it anywhere in the US. I don't think you can use it in Canada but am not sure. Go on their website and check the areas they cover. You can always call CS. I know the rest of the world needs the AT&T 3G model. If you are happy with it then keep it, if not return it and get another one if you can find one.

4. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Well only you can decide if you should keep it or return it, but yes.. The CDMA version (Verizon) can not be used overseas.. You would need the AT&T (GSM) model because you can use a SIM card from a carrier overseas that will allow it to work.

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I can not believe people are buying any products on verizon 3g. That is ridiculously slow, 4g is a different story.

6. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

I TOTALLY agree! We had Verizon and canceled before 7 days! CRAZY! Their 3G is down a lot too!

7. CADZ1LLA macrumors newbie

Difinitely Not

I have had the Ipad 64 Gig 3g, 1st version, and recently bought the Ipad 2 32gig wifi with no 3g. I was under the impression that the new Ipad I had purchased was a 3g and was initially quite disappointed to find out that it was not.

My mobile rig consists of a 2011 MB Pro 15" i7, Iphone 4 3.2.0 jailbroken, running MyWi, the 64g 3g Ipad 1, and the 32G ipad 2. I can tether the Ipad to to my phone or Ipad 1 (also jailbroken), but IT SUCKS! Tethered speed is much slower than 3g in the pad. However, and this is a big however, I have unlimited data on my Ipad. An ATT representative mistakenly told me that I could use one of the micro sims out of one of my Iphone 4's that was on an unlimited data plan in my Ipad1. That I could just pop it out and pop the Iphone sim in the Ipad. WRONG!!! Ipad did not recognize it. I was pissed and wanted what I had been promised whether there was not another unlimited Ipad planet. So after three months of nagging I got my unlimited account for 29.99 per month. I cant believe they actually gave in on something. I was very disappointed in not having 3g on my new Ipad2, so disappointed that I traded my 64 gig and my 32 gig for a 64gig 3g Ipad 2. I am happy as a clam. The 3 g is incredible and even more so on a jailbroken machine running MyWi and My3g as it allows you to use facetime anywhere you have a 3g signal. My friends are blown away to see my iphone sitting on my dash as the outside flies by during our conversation. Ipad 2 3g thumbs up.

YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG ONE

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm not sure if Verizon has sharing agreements with the few CDMA markets over seas(there are some, but few, which might make it pointless for Verizon to both with them)

Canada is not one of those nations that has a CDMA carrier. But I wouldn't buy a piece of technology just so I could use it outside of the country(that's me at this point in my live, as my job and school keep me in the US most of the time)

I assume you went for Verizon to their footprint, you might live in an area with out AT&T 3G? If you do have AT&T 3G and can return it, I'd suggest that, as AT&T 3G is quite a bit better for speed. Verizon seems to have coverage award, but AT&T has speed.

If you can't return it, its hardly a huge issue. Your 3G is still fine for a bind, and you said you can't see yourself using it much. And over seas data is so expensive anyway, you'd be better off going to a place with Wi-Fi, the only thing you lose is data in an emergency, but thats what a smartphone is for!

9. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

I thought it would be good to have Verizon due to having an AT&T iPhone. If one company has no coverage then hopefully the other one would

I guess since 99.99% of my time will be in the USA having Verizon won't be a big deal.

New question- will my iPhone work just fine since it is AT&T in Montreal? Is it expensive?

10. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I would like to know that too. I am going to canada in the summer and I wanted to know if I can use my ATT data and phone over there.

11. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I do not agree with your statement above. For the two bolded statements:

1) iPad data is actually pretty inexpensive overseas... and since the AT&T iPad is an unlocked device, it is easy to get a local SIM card when traveling. The data is VERY expensive if you pay AT&T for international roaming (this is probably what you meant). However, local SIM cards are generally inexpensive. For example, l just spent two weeks in Ireland. An Irish SIM (Vodafone) was just 20 Euros and it came with 7GB.

2) Your second comment about using a smart phone for data... Once again... if you roam...you will pay a fortune on your next AT&T bill. I had an employee who returned to find a $4,000 phone bill. Unlike the iPad, most smartphones are carrier locked... so you cannot buy an inexpensive local SIM.

For someone who travels a lot, I think it makes sense to get the AT&T 3G iPad even if you do not want to have U.S. AT&T service. It is one of the easiest and inexpensive ways to have good access to data when traveling internationally.

/Jim

12. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

I got the 3G for the more accurate GPS.
    I also got it due to some areas not having Verizon cell service but ATT service, so I can fire it up and use my skype.

13. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

When you are in Canada, Rogers is the carrier partner of AT&T. However, I believe data roaming on the iPad is still expensive. You should check with AT&T. Your other option is to grab a Rogers micro sim, if you have an ATT iPad. You can visit their website at rogers.com. However, you iPad needs to connect to a computer to download the carrier setting before it will work with the Rogers sim.

Also, there may be issue with Rogers accepting foreign credit card, although I heard that American Express may work. Note that it's same thing in the US that ATT rejects Canadian credit card when I traveled to US. Your work around is to get a prepaid Visa from drug store likes the Shoppers Drug Mart. There are a couple threads in the iPad forum here on this topic, search for them.