Did I catch a Scam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MattyMac, Mar 25, 2008.

1. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I bought an item on ebay today from a user with 0 feedback, however I didn't go through ebay...he sent me a paypal invoice seperately. I was in communication with him back and forth a few times before I sent the funds. The item was only $30 so I wasn't worried that much. Well I sent the funds and he said he shipped it out already (about 20min to 30min after I paid)...I thought that was strange. He used paypal to print a USPS shipping label and said he lives 2 blocks from the post office. Great! I'll get my item faster.

This was all around 2 pm today. Now around 730pm I get two seperate emails from paypal for refunds??? One for $21.18 and the other for $0.61 deposited back into my account from the same guy. So I try to email the guy and his email no longer exists??? Also, his ebay account no longer exists??? I am worried this is some type of scam. What do you all think? If I don't get the item...not a big loss since he sent me most of the refund. Ill only be loosing around $8. But he has my email and home address. Should I be worried??

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If it is 8 dollars, just be glad that you didn't lose more. That being said, it definitely seems like a scam. I wouldn't worry about him having your address, it's not like he's gonna come beat you up or anything lol

3. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I'm not worried about $8. Just worried if there is anything he can do with my email and address. Hack into accounts or anything...

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I wouldn't worry about it. A Email address is nothing. I would be more worried about your actual address, but still, what's the worst that can happen? More likely than not you will never hear from the guy again.

5. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I suppose. It all just seems very odd. I called paypal and spoke with ebay on live chat and they both seem to think that I have nothing to worry about.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

7. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Don't do this again. Very few honest sellers will try to get you to buy something outside their eBay auction. It's a way to avoid eBay fees. It's also a way to avoid accountability. You lucked out this time. Next time you could lose more.

If you're going to buy through eBay, then at least follow the rules. They give you some protection. Not a lot, but some.

8. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

9. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

My first thought after reading this was it was probably a child and they got caught using the features underage. That usually results in a quick removal of an eBay account. I wouldn't worry about them having your contact information though. For it to be a scam worthy of the effort, they would have to steal $8 from a lot of people, and I think this was more likely an error that wasn't fully refunded (perhaps paypal fees?). Personally, I would notify Paypal and eBay about your experience, as it won't take much time, and may result in some answers about what actually happened. Good luck to you.

10. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I did notify both ebay and paypal. They both feel that I have nothing to worry about. Ebay did say that the seller was under investigation that is why their account was suspended and possibly why I got a refund. I was thinking it was a child as well and they just cancelled their account and matching gmail address.

I tracked the item today via usps and there's actually a package on the way.

I bet the $8 that wasn't refunded to me was from what the seller paid to have it shipped via USPS through PayPal.

Seems like it will all work out!

11. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine